Spark plug torque specs?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
kevink

Re: Spark plug torque specs?

Post by kevink »

smwalker wrote:
kevink wrote:
15 lbs is for a new head. All subsequent installations get 11 lbs. You can easily get a torque wrench on all of the plugs. For future reference:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?category=1
I read that but it did not jive with the service manual. They talk about a lower torque for reinstalling the same plugs.

Why would it be lower for send set of plugs? Threads get weaker?
That's really weird. I would love to know the thought process behind that. Seems like that would be spark plug specific and not engine specific.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

I know some plugs have a crush washer on them, so when reusing them you wouldn't need to crush the washer again since it would be set already. But we don't use that style plug, ours have a tapered seat and no washer so I'm not sure.
Jtcaprice

Post by Jtcaprice »

The plugs that I bought were $16 per 1 and they recommend not using thread sealant. Something to do with a coating or something.
kevink

Post by kevink »

Jtcaprice wrote:The plugs that I bought were $16 per 1 and they recommend not using thread sealant. Something to do with a coating or something.
I don't know why anyone would ever consider using thread sealant on a spark plug. The threads are not where they seal.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

kevink wrote:
Jtcaprice wrote:The plugs that I bought were $16 per 1 and they recommend not using thread sealant. Something to do with a coating or something.
I don't know why anyone would ever consider using thread sealant on a spark plug. The threads are not where they seal.
And I wasn't recommending a sealant, but anti-seize. You use it sparingly, but it helps prevent galling the threads when trying to change the plugs. Especially important in areas where road salt, or a salty atmosphere is.

I take a small dab on the blade of a small flat-blade screwdriver and rub it on the threads of a plug. I'll then take a couple of other plugs and work the threads of a 'clean' plug against the threads of the coated plug to spread the anti-seize out and across more than one plug. Wash, rinse, repeat until the full set is complete.

I use 'Nevr-seize' brand. I have a can I inherited from my Dad.

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/regulargrade.htm
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Right on Gene, I've been using "Permatex" anti-seize compound for years mostly on iron head GM motors but with our new alluminum LS motors it sure couldn't hurt. I made the mistake last year of installing all new $$ stainless steel bolts on my jet boat motor mounts tightened them all up without anti-seize then realized we forgot to install the flex plate lol. We couldn't un-screw the SS nuts and bolts and actually had to cut the bolts off with a die grinder. We went back to the supply house where we bought the SS hardware to complain how we couldn't disassemble the bolts, and the guy pointed us to a huge sign above the door that read" No returns on SS hardware because you forgot to use "anti-seize" compound " oops ! I learned an expensive lesson that day. So Yes, I'm a fanatic when it comes to anti-seize on most all metals.
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's