Just got my PPV...several questions

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
barryblakely

Just got my PPV...several questions

Post by barryblakely »

Hey guys...just getting started with my 2011 PPV. I've got some initial questions, if you don't mind.

- I've heard guys might be using OEM G8 springs to lower the PPV Caprice's. Any pics? How much of a drop do you get? I actually have a set in my shop, removed from a G8, so this is a cheap fix for me, if it gives the desired drop.

- What offsets are you guys running on the wheels? If I order a set of wheels for a 2008 G8, are the certain to work on the 2011 PPV? Exact same fitment?

- Camaro 20" wheels work with 275's in the rear, correct?

- Where are you guys ordering parts for these cars...to make it more civilian friendly?

- Anybody come up with seat covers that are inexpensive and work?

Thanks!
indianajoe

Re: Just got my PPV...several questions

Post by indianajoe »

welcome to the board!

I don't know how much drop stock g8 springs will give you, itll probably be similar to the drop some of us using SS springs have seen, see this thread people have also used g8 H&R springs or Eibach

wheel offsets are usually a matter of taste, but anything labeled G8 will fit. CTS and camaro fit (camaro need shorter tires, idk the specific sizes)

G8 parts can go a long way to make the interior nicer. I and a few other members have done a G8 console swap, seats (need a rewire to have the airbag, and you can combine them for full power seats, see this thread) and basically any interior part is bolt right in

If you're feeling adventurous (and spendy in some cases) you can scour ebay.au to find some authentic aussie parts to civilianify your car (prepare for shipping to hurt)
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

As far as using the G8 carpeting the carpeting does come up short ahead of the rear seats in the Caprice. There are several items to make the car more civilian. Leather steering wheels, leather shift knobs, door panels, trunk lip spoilers, grills, fender mounted turn signal indicators. badging. I have ordered a lot of stuff from Australia and have always tried to bundle multiple parts into the shipping. My biggest expense was door panels and seats from a low mileage WM Statesman. Make sure that you have a very good description from the seller. I did order some "leather" export seat covers for the Caprice. When they arrived they were just a rough textured vinyl. Shipping them back for a refund was painful!
If you are thinking springs, no matter what you use, consider replacing struts and upper mounting points, also

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
s/c'd cav