Question about rear air bags

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
stevemd

Question about rear air bags

Post by stevemd »

Hey, guys. Noob here.

I was reading the 2012 Car and Driver review of the Caprice PPV and they mentioned the side curtain air bags don't extend into the rear passenger compartment. I was wondering if any of the later Caprice PPV's such as the 'plain clothes' or detective models got the bags back there.

Thanks,

steve
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Question about rear air bags

Post by smwalker »

Hey Steve, welcome to the board!

It was not model dependent on who got the extended side curtain bags rather just an option that could be ordered. That is up until 2017 then you could not order it at all as GM discontinued the option.

You can check your SPID label to see if you have this option code then you have the extended side curtain airbags:

2011: (AYO)
2012 and on: (AYG)

Found a pic of my 11 9C3, it does not have the option so the curtain does not extend to the rear area:

I doubt many got the option as they wanted to leave the choice open to put in a prisoner partition and you could not do it if you had the extended airbag. Well you could just not a good idea.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
SBRMD

Re: Question about rear air bags

Post by SBRMD »

AYG (the full curtain, covering the rear seat too) was inexplicably deleted as an option in '17. I am currently communicating with GM engineering to see if AYG bags can be installed in a AKC car. So far, they have not given me a firm answer re what all parts would be necessary (just the bags? Also other parts?) but my dealer has indicated that his rep told him not to do it for liability reasons.

My '11 does have the full side curtain option.
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
'11 PPV 9C3 Phantom Black Metallic