Dealer Service Records

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
lastcall190

Dealer Service Records

Post by lastcall190 »

According to the history report on the vehicle I'm buying, there are quite a few records of dealer maintenance, and also items being replaced. Is there a resource available that would allow someone to run a VIN through a dealer database and see work orders that have been created for said VIN? Nothing that makes me want to run away, but I'm just curious. Thank you.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Dealer Service Records

Post by smwalker »

Well there is the GMVIS report that shows a history of all repairs done on a vehicle. BUt the items are just summarized with no details. It will list the dealer that did the work you could then call them with the VIN and ask them if they could provide the details of the repair. May not give you the actual invoice since it would contain previous owner info, but they might summarize it for you. Most dealers don't want to help with this since it is not making them any money digging up this info, but you might get lucky.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks. Did some searching on GMVIS on a few other forums and I guess it's a fairly common thing to seek out, but some dealers balk at forking over the information, even though they own the car in question. I have a few local dealers I'll inquire with.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Remember the parts department guys have access to that system also so if service gives you any resistance check with the parts guys they usually seem to be more helpful since they are not on a commission structure.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White