Wheel hop

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
kennygs72

Wheel hop

Post by kennygs72 »

I installed my 3.45 diff on Saturday in my '11 9C3 and what a difference that made , I installed the BMR bushing in it as well. My problem now is wheel hop I was reading a thread about putting SS rear springs and Camaro lower control arms on and was wondering if that is the fix or is there something else that will work? A buddy of mine with a GTO had wheel hop and is M6 car and we installed air bags on it and it went away and looking at the PPV this weekend it didn't look like that will work.
2008 P71 3:55 Tracloc
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3
s/c'd cav

Re: Wheel hop

Post by s/c'd cav »

gto is a whole different car

look at BMR for the control arms
kevink

Post by kevink »

What tire was it on when it wheel hopped and how much power is it making? My car, with 3.45s, factory tires, and completely stock rear suspension with poly/delrin diff bushings, would just spin through 3rd gear. It never, ever had wheel hop, but that might be because the tires were just totally overwhelmed. If the factory rubber bushings don't get a chance to deflect, they will not have the opportunity to rebound and get the cycle going. Get rid of as many of the squishy, factory rubber bushings as you can. Toe rods, trailing arms, and upper control arm bushings are supposed to eliminate most, if not all, wheel hop according to my research. Whatever works for G8s, SSs, and 5th Gen Camaros should work for our cars, too.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

the factory 1LE stuff does eliminate it also if you want to stay with more rubber parts.... I have the lower arms, and toe rods installed with OEM SS springs and have no issues although I have the factory baby dif still and I don't get anything but wheelspin when the hammer is dropped....
Black6

Post by Black6 »

Just copy what 5th gen Camaro guys do.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
kennygs72

Post by kennygs72 »

kevink wrote:What tire was it on when it wheel hopped and how much power is it making? My car, with 3.45s, factory tires, and completely stock rear suspension with poly/delrin diff bushings, would just spin through 3rd gear. It never, ever had wheel hop, but that might be because the tires were just totally overwhelmed. If the factory rubber bushings don't get a chance to deflect, they will not have the opportunity to rebound and get the cycle going. Get rid of as many of the squishy, factory rubber bushings as you can. Toe rods, trailing arms, and upper control arm bushings are supposed to eliminate most, if not all, wheel hop according to my research. Whatever works for G8s, SSs, and 5th Gen Camaros should work for our cars, too.
Car is stock except the 3.45's CAI and X pipe
2008 P71 3:55 Tracloc
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

discussion on wheel hop - http://www.ssforums.com/forum/drag-raci ... l-hop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;