So what would I be getting myself into with a PPV?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
stgdz

So what would I be getting myself into with a PPV?

Post by stgdz »

Been looking around at cars as my saturn is starting to wear out at 265K, probably has another 100 in it though but I have been looking for a bit and need the following

-Needs to haul a family of four +dog
-Needs a lot of trunk space
-Cockpit needs to be open and side to side leg space.
-daily driver 30 miles each way mainly on highways.

I've daily'd a saturn for the last decade and a half and use a dakota for hauling stuff. The wife has the minivan. I started out looking at taurs sho's and ford fusions and they were certainly nicer but holy hell were those consoles massive. I couldn't believe the taurus was a large format car and it felt so cramped. Drove a regal GS and it was certainly an improvement cockpit wise but it didn't have the grunt that I would like, it was quick but basically slow car quick.

Anyways I have been looking at the CTS-V's both gen 1 and 2, the STS-V's, G8's, SS's and Caprice PPV's. I like the holden chassis, test drove a GTO back in the day and it felt connected with me. Getting into the back seat sucked and the trunk is a no go. Does the PPV fit the bill for me? I would definately have to swap out the interior but it seems like I could tweak the car to my liking.

Little nervous on buying a police car though.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: So what would I be getting myself into with a PPV?

Post by smwalker »

Post up what city and state you are from. IF you do not have one on a lot near you you can check out one of the members in your area might be willing to meet with you so you could give it a leg room test. I think the CTSV are certainly more crampnt than the PPV but that is a real personal preference on what you are looking for.

Your gas bill will probably about double compared to the saturn. V6 PPV might be an option for you if that is a big deal.

Trunk, fagettaboutit you could fit 3 dead bodies back there. Venture to say nothing bigger on the market in a sedan. (EDIT: Quite wrong on this assertion but we are within the top 10)

Keep the vinyl flooring if you are hauling the dog, easy clean up.

Yea Ex police can carry a risk. Either get it cheap and budget for common repairs or wait to find the low mileage no police use ones most have already snatched up but now and then get rid of. We are still finding surprises these days.

Welcome to the board and good luck in your search.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
stgdz

Post by stgdz »

Located just west of minneapolis, MN and needless to say I'm looking at a lot of southern cars.

I was budgeting
-Shocks/springs
-brakes
-Tires/rims
-Maybe AC

I've budgeted more gas per year but I'm tired of highway traffic and seeing an opening only to floor it and hear brrrrrrrrrrrm, I want to be able to have torque and pass (vroooom) like I used to.
From what I can figure out the PPV is essentially a G8/SS with different body panels but I don't know what parts are unique to the PPV.
Black6

Post by Black6 »

Body parts are pretty much it. Some cross over. Suspension/drivetrain is all G8/Camaro/SS.

Much bigger cars than the CTS. High to insure. STS regular are probably some of the best deals dollar wise.

Most ppv cars have gone through police service and do not get treated nicely.

Crown Vic’s 03+ are great cars. Don’t discount them. Currently stupid cheap to own/operate as parts are borderline free for them. They are just slow. Slow. Very slow.
stgdz wrote:Located just west of minneapolis, MN and needless to say I'm looking at a lot of southern cars.

I was budgeting
-Shocks/springs
-brakes
-Tires/rims
-Maybe AC

I've budgeted more gas per year but I'm tired of highway traffic and seeing an opening only to floor it and hear brrrrrrrrrrrm, I want to be able to have torque and pass (vroooom) like I used to.
From what I can figure out the PPV is essentially a G8/SS with different body panels but I don't know what parts are unique to the PPV.
Black 2014 V8

Be jealous of my factory carpet.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

The kids will love the big back seat. There is so much room, you can't reach them for an attitude adjustment. If you can find one that was driven by a supervisor or detective, you will be better off.

David