Caprice vs. CVPI Video

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Mooseman

Caprice vs. CVPI Video

Post by Mooseman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuV7sTOOSPs

Obviously this guy is biased towards the CVPI but does have valid points regarding costs, reliability and amenities. He talks more about the Cap but says he still prefers the CVPI.

Having worked in a lot of CVPI's, I can tell you that the interior space is not the same. The Caprice is cavernous compared to the CVPI. Getting in and out is better and there is leg room to spare despite being 6.2". I've driven Vics without the cage and it pales in comparison. Seats are also a no brainer as I would be almost paralyzed in back pain in the CVPI.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
cerbomark

Re: Caprice vs. CVPI Video

Post by cerbomark »

I considered both when I bought. Performance was a no brainer, Caprice is more modern and better looking in and out. Same gas mileage, win Chevy. Parts may be a down side but if it gets hit my insurance will be paying the bill for repairs. I opted for a newer low mileage one so the DOD cam issues are covered till 100K by warranty and installed the Ranger DOD delete as cheap insurance. If money was an issue I can see the ford being good deal.
The ford reminds me of an old man s car, LOL.
He did seemed to like the chevy way better but when counting nickels he liked the ford.
2016 C1
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

I have both, CVPI came first for me, put 40k miles on it and sitting at 165k. Yes it's a dinosaur and relatively unchanged since 99, but for some reason old man car or not, it's just very relaxing and enjoyable to drive. Caprice came because I had to sell my Mustang since 2 children in the back seat of that would get very old very fast... but I had to scratch the performance itch somehow.

Performance as stated, no brainer. Interior space also isn't even close, the Caprice I can put myself in the back footwell and adjust my kids' seats. Somehow the Caprice feels far smaller on the road.

Both larger sedans but vastly different feels. I enjoy both of them and don't dread driving either.

Oh and parts cost slightly skews CVPI favor. Headlights, anyone? :lol:

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

And imagine me here in Canuskistan to try and get parts for mine! I probably have the only one here so I'd have to get them from the US, except for common parts.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Oh jeez good point :lol:

I'm seeing a *few* popping up in junkyards when searching for certain body parts, but not a ton.

That still strikes me as insane that there are so few in Canada...

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Spent 9.5 years in a few different CVPIs. From a police officer's perspective, they are good cars built decently for their intended purpose. They are not without their problems though and despite having such a long production run with little changes and a very dated platform, Ford continued to have quality problems over the years. IE repeated failing ignition coil packs 1998-2002ish, the defective wheels 2003-2004 that would crack, defective peeling paint (2006-2008) wide spread cooling fan failures in low mileage cars 2007-2008, steering rack failures 2007-2008 and A/C compressor failures (2010) to name a few that come to mind.

Biggest complaint I had with the car was lack of power. The average police car these days weighs 5000 lbs with driver, gear and added equipment. 4.6 was fine back in 1992 when the Caprices had gutless TBI engines but Ford should have had other options for the car such as even the basic 2V 5.4L which would have filled the performance gap between the 1996 Caprice LT1 and the 2007 Dodge Charger Hemi.

..Now in a Caprice since 2014. Obviously no comparison and I agree what was said about entry and exit. Caprice is way easier to get in and out of being tall and wearing a lot of gear.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
HoldenPPV

Post by HoldenPPV »

I have never owned the Ford CVPI, but I have driven for hours on end in dozens of them, since they came out after the Ford LTD Crown Victoria (the boxy one prior).

Here’s the thing. Even at the end of their production, it was pretty much the same car as it was when it came out in the 1990s. They finally bumped the HP to 250... 0ver 100hp less than the contemporary Caprice.

The CVPI is not a bad car, it’s just very dated. If you need parts, plenty out there. The cars themselves are also cheap to buy. I have seen some really cool builds by owners and one can build that 4.6l for a little more oomph.

But the Caprice is just a better driving car in every single way. Unless you prefer the nearly grandmotherly float handling (by comparison) of the CVPI. That’s a subjective preference I do not share. I have put far more hours in a CVPI than I have yet in my PPV, often times in real world conditions of “exceeding the design limits” of it’s handling and performance. It’s not horrible, unless comparing it to the Caprice or any other modern police packaged vehicle... even the police SUV’s I have been reading about.

All that being said, for years I held off on buying a CVPI because they just never wowed me. Not back then and certainly not now. It’s a tough work horse of a car. That was all. They are about 5 steps above a “meh” stacked up against modernity. The Caprice is way more car. More power, more room, more handling, more comfort, more braking, more everything... although I was tempted by both the Hemi Charger and the twin turbo V6 Ford Police Interceptor Sedan “not a Taurus” Taurus. Lack of interior room on both those, though I have driven neither, seems to be a recurring complaint.

What we really have here is an apples and oranges comparison. If you are looking for an economically minded purchasing decision and don’t mind dated handling and performance, go Ford CVPI. You probably won’t regret it. If you want way more car in every single aspect of a driving experience, and the potential for way more than that via factory or aftermarket mods limited only by your wallet, the Caprice is the clear choice. The LS platform is current, up to date and well supported.
2012 9C1 (L77)

2008 Suzuki B-King - 2nd gen 1340cc Hayabusa engine - Scorpion exhaust
* (Bequeathed to me by Chris Hibbard 11/11/1958-01/08/2011 — The HibbsCycle) *

#ABG (Always Be Gamblin’) http://www.Gambler500.com" an impractical vehicle-off road-navigational challenge...
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

Panther body. I owned a Ford Police Interceptor with CNG system. Came with aluminum intake instead of the plastic. Sold it at 240K miles when the rear bearings/axle was shot and the CNG tanks were near expiration. Super convenient car, cheap parts everywhere. Rear ended once, totaled other car, PI only needed a new bumper cover and absorbers.
2016 Caprice
119C3NJ

Post by 119C3NJ »

hey that's my car in the video.
2011 9C3 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
1995 MG5 Yukon GT Black
1993 Harley Davidson FLSTC Black