Starter Wont Engage -Immobilizer ???

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
johnpz2721

Re: Starter Wont Engage -Immobilizer ???

Post by johnpz2721 »

Car was sitting 7 months with dead battery
There has to be a way to get rid of this feature
johnpz2721

Post by johnpz2721 »

Yes this is exactly what my Caprice is doing no starter engagement
johnpz2721

Post by johnpz2721 »

Car is currently at a chevy dealer in Sick Bay i am wondering what they are going to come up with as far as a diagnosis
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

I added 2 flip keys from the internet, after I had them cut. 1 added fine and the 2nd flipped the engine Immobilized and it wouldn't clear even when I put the original key in. Tried the 10 minute relearn and 30min and no change.

I have an MDI clone so I looked at it in tech2win and saw it was stuck in new key mode with 0 keys learned. I tried the relearn with tech2win, and nothing changed. At that point I ordered a key from the dealer and it cleared the message right away. I then ordered 2 new chips for the internet keys, the old chips weren't glued in so it was an easy swap, and they were learned without issue.

I'm not sure what happened when trying to add the 2nd new key originally, but I was lucky that my still started with the message. Just speculation but maybe it was in hand too close when adding the first and got learned once???? No idea really.
smwalker wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:02 pm
91C02920 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:21 pm I had to order a new key from the Chevy dealer to fix it when I was getting the engine immobilized message in my car.
Looking at it with a tech2 I had 0 keys learned and it was in learn mode, but wouldn't learn any of my old keys, they were scrapped.
Why did you get the immibilized message to start with? Was your BCM disconnected for a long time like OP's? Or another reason?

DId you do the Tech 2 work yourself? Or dealer?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

JOhn if you can give us an update on what the dealer did in your situation. MIght be a common problem in the future.

Thanks
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

No Start -Immobilizer Message Displayed

Post by smwalker »

A FB user had a similar situation with a car he bought at an auction, got there and got the immobilization message. Did the 30 minute relearn and it worked out well. The instructions say to use an master key. Not sure how you would know which key is the master key. This guy got 2 keys with the auction and either he got 2 masters or he just happened to pick the correct one. Or maybe the system is really not as picky as the instructions say it is??

a51JUb3 - Imgur.png
a51JUb3 - Imgur.png (92.94 KiB) Viewed 8785 times
Imgur Link
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White