Starter Wont Engage -Immobilizer ???

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
johnpz2721

Starter Wont Engage -Immobilizer ???

Post by johnpz2721 »

New acquisition
Just got this vehicle cant get the starter to engage i think it need to have keys programmed i had two locksmiths come out with computers and No Luck i treid the 10 min method did not work
this vehicle was sitting dead for 7 months
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Starter Wont Engage -Immobilizer ???

Post by smwalker »

Are you getting the "Engine Immobilized" message on the DIC?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
johnpz2721

Post by johnpz2721 »

Yes
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

What year is it?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
johnpz2721

Post by johnpz2721 »

smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

THis is a tough one because of all the factors of fleet kets and such. So I think you would first need to get a scanner and scan all the modules and see what codes are present as that will tell you what direction to go.

The BCM has a relearn procedure as well as the theft deterrent system. Not sure if they would both need to be done. Then the big one - in every key reprogram instructions I see the all say keys can only be programmed once. How it keeps track of them I do not know but fleet vehicles can have unlimited number of keys programmed and "unique" versions can only have 10 done. So depending on how your car was ordered will tell you if you have room for more or unlimited. Also there are separate part numbers for Fleet keys and standard keys.

Here are some of the codes that might be present:

And the info snippet on the keys I keep seeing:

SO basically you need to find a GM dealership whos got a Fleet key Guru on staff that could figure all this out. Not an easy problem from wht it sounds like.

Sorry!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
johnpz2721

Post by johnpz2721 »

the car came with 3 keys i replaced the battery in all of them some had some corrosion is my bet bet taking the car to a chevy dealer ?? i ma at my wits end with this i wish there was a way to eliminate this feature ??
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

The battery in the remote has nothing to do with the immobilizer system that is just for the Keyless entry buttons. You have Chips in the heads of each key that send the code to the immobilizer system when the key is turned. The keys talk to the immobilizer module and that send the signal to compare with the security code in the BCM if they match the car starts. SOmewhere in that chain something forgot something. Not sure if it in the BCM or the Immobilizer module.

Yea Chevrolet or any GM dealer that has a knowledgeable person on staff that has dealt with fleet keys before. YOu are looking at a few hours diagnosis I bet. Or if you can find a locksmith that has a GM programming module and knows his was around the SPS programing site. Not to many of them out there.

Once you get a good working key there are ways to bypass the system but without one working one you are dead in the water. The system is just to integral to the car to remove it completely.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

I had to order a new key from the Chevy dealer to fix it when I was getting the engine immobilized message in my car. $40 & came in cut and ready to go, I used it and it cleared right away.
Looking at it with a tech2 I had 0 keys learned and it was in learn mode, but wouldn't learn any of my old keys, they were scrapped.

The new key from Chevy worked.

I have fleet option 6E3 on my car.
With my car, I assume due to the fleet option, it would start up and drive with no issues even with the Engine Immobilized message.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

91C02920 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:21 pm I had to order a new key from the Chevy dealer to fix it when I was getting the engine immobilized message in my car.
Looking at it with a tech2 I had 0 keys learned and it was in learn mode, but wouldn't learn any of my old keys, they were scrapped.
Why did you get the immibilized message to start with? Was your BCM disconnected for a long time like OP's? Or another reason?

DId you do the Tech 2 work yourself? Or dealer?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White