GM warranty & build info for your PPV

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

GM warranty & build info for your PPV

Post by Navy Lifer »

I originally posted this out in February by e-mail, before New Caprice Forum came online, and our group was much smaller. I can't recall or locate a thread where I had previously posted it on NCF, so here is something you may want to follow up on--for those who've already seen my original e-mail, sorry for being repetitious!

If you haven't done this already, and have a friendly parts department, you should go there and ask them for a printout of your Vehicle Build and Vehicle Summary, from the GM Global Connect system.

I'm not saying the information is 100% accurate, but it at least tells you what's in the system as far as your vehicle. For example--my car (Caprice PPV) was built in June 2011, best I can tell, but the database says Sep 30 2011--the car may have landed in the US or arrived at the ordering dealership by then, but it was actually assembled some months earlier, so it's not clear how the Global Connect system views this anomaly as it has been entered in this (my) case.

The Vehicle Build data includes a complete list of RPO's on the car, with descriptions, and Vehicle Summary is a complete record of the applicable warranties, with start & end dates (or odometer readings).

There is a menu of several different additional reports that can be selected, including Vehicle Component Summary, Vehicle Transaction History Detail, and Vehicle Delivery. There's more, but I have no idea just how much a dealer would be open to providing or how much data each owner may care about.

This info gives an owner a historical reference and "pedigree" for their PPV. The same into is available for any GM vehicle, but for special models, like the PPV, it's always nice to have this sort of information.

If you want these docs for your car, and don't have or can't find a cooperative dealer, let me know your VIN and I can help you.
95_9C1

Re: GM warranty & build info for your PPV

Post by 95_9C1 »

PM sent
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

This has "plenty" of views, but I'm pretty sure a significant number of new Forum members and newer PPV owners have not seen it or obtained the data mentioned--if they care to have it.

If there's a provision in this Forum to make a thread "sticky", his one could benefit from it. I'm not sure how to do it, even though I have some Moderator-level access.

If nothing else, the data makes for interesting reading! Some interpretation may be required.

Check it out! You will need a cooperative dealer, or I can help a little, but I can't lean on my local dealer to get a "hookup" for everyone here who may be interested in seeing their V's data file. I will do what I can.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Time for another "bump" on this--many new/second owners are on board now that might be interested in getting a report from the dealer system that provides configuration (as built) and service/warranty history.

More here (from SS Forum): http://www.ssforums.com/forum/warranty- ... ur-ss.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

A friend on another forum with access got that information for me. Funny, he also has a '13 Tahoe PPV, and it's already suffered from the dreaded DOD lifter failure. :|

From that report, I discovered that our car got a new cam and lifters at about 40-ish-K miles. Other than that, not much else happened to the car. Nice report.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
hboost

Post by hboost »

I'm interested, should I shoot you my VIN?