Got access to a G8 part out

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Mooseman

Re: Got access to a G8 part out

Post by Mooseman »

Anybody know what tools are required to pull a shifter? I got a possible line on a G8 in a u-pic about 3.5 hours away. The yard is supposed to call me back to let me know if it's still there.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

And, don't forget the small square frame at the top that the center of the back seat latches to... along with the bolts.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Thanks. Going tomorrow to pick up the lot so I'll look for that.

Drove 361km, 3.5 hours, x2, to get that shifter at the u-pick. It was there and basically that's all that was there. The car was basically already gutted. It was missing the connector and maybe some other things but it works. Did grab the parking brake cable adjuster block just in case, the truck switch and the microphone from the roof console (have the one from my TrailBlazer in there now). Also picked up a few parts for the TB. Well worth the drive.

So tomorrow, I do another 3 hour x2 drive for the rest. Sure hope it all fits in my TB!
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

As said yesterday, today was another 720km drive to pick up parts for the Caprice. Decided to borrow my son's Silverado as I remembered that I was also bringing the carpet. Good thing I did because it was soaked and stank so it will need a good cleaning. I was also able to grab the shifter. It wasn't really broken, it was just stuck because the bolts spun in the plastic frame on top. I got a grab with my locking pliers and we were able to remove two nuts. The rear two stripped so I broke the plastic. Between this one and the other I got yesterday, I should be able to put together a working unit.

And thanks again elc32955 about that square part. It was still in the car so I would have been screwed without it, same for that strip.

So I've spent about $1000CAD for these parts, including gas both days. The wife ain't happy but hopefully she'll change her mind once they're in.