2014+ or 2013- ? Which year do you prefer?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Gkk2001

2014+ or 2013- ? Which year do you prefer?

Post by Gkk2001 »

There are many discussions about the different features of these 2 ‘generations’ if you can call it that but my question is, all things being near equal other than the year, which year do you prefer if buying now?
13 or less vs 14+.

I know some prefer a floor console shift but I have not heard any talk about the larger radio display of the 14+ being an advantage. There are quite a few 14 s on the market now and I saw a 15 for sale recently.

Please let me hear your preference and why.
Ilikemtb999

Re: 2014+ or 2013- ? Which year do you prefer?

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

I’d buy a 15+ to get a backup camera. I enjoy having factory Bluetooth as well. Downside is a console swap is much more involved because you have to do an entire dash vs the 13- which is just the console and some other trim pieces. I liked the 14 seats way more than the older ones.
Gkk2001

Post by Gkk2001 »

Thank you for your much needed reply.

I will take a close look at both the 13 and a 14 within the next few days. I too want a backup cam but I gather this can be added with a mod from Chris White. I think I will call him to confirm that. I don’t mind the diy add ons, but a complete DOD delete is something I don’t want to do unless other than through an ECM programming change.
Your heads up on these differences helps me a lot as I am a newbie with these cars. It appears there are many nuances between years and cars and it will come down to a judgement call, like all car buying I guess.
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

Yea there are some key differences between the two year splits.

The camera can be added on for sure but costs a few hundred and take a while to get your silver box back. There are some running suspension changes too for 2014. You get alloy front knuckles and one of the lower control arms and larger sway bars.

Many have had luck with doing a mechanical dod delete and using an ls3 cam with stock tune (other than dod turned off). The later year caprices “should” have gotten the better lifters so dod is less of an issue. I know in the truck world that was in the 14ish model year.
Gkk2001

Post by Gkk2001 »

I just found the files section on this site and what a gold mine of information.

I hear you on the cost of the backup cam but I am looking at a few cars on the market with prices ranging from $ 11k to near $15k (for 13 and 14 year models, the few 15s I have seen are $16 to $17k) so the small add on cost of the cam is almost inconsequential if it can be done right. But your comment is well taken because a factory cam is probably much better than most after market cams and the downtime and hassle of adding it.

I did not know that about the later model dod lifters only hearing the horror stories. It makes sense, we generally hear the bad rather quickly but not necessarily the good. Thank you again. :D