ABS and Stabilitrak faults

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Newb_1969

ABS and Stabilitrak faults

Post by Newb_1969 »

Hi everyone! My name is Derek and I’m in my first 24 hours with my new 9 c1, and I’m a little concerned already. Stabilitrak and ABS lights are on, and I can not turn Stabilitrak on or off with the button on the shifter. I replaced the f5 and FU3 fuses, but it appears they were both good. I just called the guy I bought the car from and he said to change the breaks (said they were new yesterday) and that will fix it. Gonna try to get codes off it later, but does this scenario sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.
Fudgehog

Re: ABS and Stabilitrak faults

Post by Fudgehog »

Get it code read. Could be a wheel speed sensor or just might need a brake position relearn done with a Tech2.

I would suggest you get a good code reader/programmer. The cheapest one with Tech2 functionality is the VXdiag.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Newb_1969

Post by Newb_1969 »

Thanks for reminding me to do a good signature!
Copy that, I cant seem to find a retail store that has one. (I wanted it tonight) Amazon is my fiend.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

When I had the ABS light come on on our '12, I ended up getting the Blue Driver unit. It at least reads the ABS stuff. I think it will also read the stabilitrak stuff, too, but haven't had to get that deep into it. I downloaded the app to our Galaxy Tab 4 tablet. Works quite well.

I think we knocked a piece of corrosion loose in the socket the left rear wheel speed sensor fits in, as I pulled a wad of dirt/rust out with a pair of tweezers when replacing the sensor. Probably knocked it loose in an autocross event we ran the car in a few days earlier. :shock:

But those lights can be set by silly stuff, like a failing battery of loose/corroded cable ends. A failing alternator can do it, too. Heck, the PO could have set the things off doing a last drive in it hooning it around a bit. Usually everything goes back off on a subsequent restart, but not always.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Newb_1969

Post by Newb_1969 »

Autocross event?!?! Wow! Yeah, I'm still waiting for the Tech2 reader to come in from amazon. My brakes were good all around, and fluid is good. The brakes work great, but the light is annoying. Thanks for your help! I will update once I have something.

Derek
2012 9c1 L77
bone stock