coded vs uncoded key

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Mpotsie84

coded vs uncoded key

Post by Mpotsie84 »

I have a 13 caprice and only have one key. Im trying to order a new key/fob for a spare so i can have it cut by a local shop. What's the difference and what should i order? Thanks
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: coded vs uncoded key

Post by smwalker »

Coded means that GM will cut the key based on your VIN.
You do not want to do that so you get the uncoded.
I noticed on my GM parts site it says 92281663 is the flip type but that's not correct, it is the straight non fold able type.

If you want the flip type have to go with an aftermarket of get a Holden on from AU if they are still available, not sure on that.

Then add on a button pad assembly for an extra $20.00
wm key.png
wm key.png (72.14 KiB) Viewed 8384 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/?p=catalo ... r=92237316

Remote start transmitter - standard or flip key - nice to see that it's discontinued!
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Make sure someone local can cut the key. My local dealer just got the machine required to cut the key. At one time the dealer could order the key cut from the VIN info. Just make sure the locks have not been changed out if you order using the VIN.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Navy Lifer wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:22 am

Remote start transmitter - standard or flip key - nice to see that it's discontinued!
That is a good Holden Part number if anyone ever needs one from AU:
https://chevrolet.7zap.com/en/caprice/4 ... 789-0-0/#2

The rubber covers are still available from GM it seems!! Get some backups if you have done the remote start mod. 92245050
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mpotsie84

Post by Mpotsie84 »

Thanks for all the info. I've read some nightmares regarding vehicle immobilization when setting up new keys. Anything i should know before doing this procedure? Do you have to start with the master key? How do i find out if the only key i have is indeed the master key? Is there a way to make it a master key if that's even needed for this. Just trying to add a backup key. Thanks everyone
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I am not totally clear on the whole master key thing. They supposedly marked them in later years 14+ but not sure how to ID them in 11-13. But basically what we have seen is if you have one key that does not set off the immobilizer you can add more using it. As long as it has a chip in there that is ready to be programmed.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Do these look like they make any sense? https://www.ebay.com/itm/382282433944?V ... 33944#rwid
Since it has a part number that I thought was "good", I contacted the seller who insisted that I send them make/model/year of car. I tried to explain it was a weird bird and that if the fob was compatible with 92237316 which is listed in their ad, I would be good. They wouldn't bite and told me "we're sorry but this fob is not compatible with your vehicle". It is a 2 fob set for 50 bucks.
Any thoughts?
I have a 13 9c3. I have a "straight key" and would like to have a folding key.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

They did not give much info in that listing but one thing you need to look out for is the key blank style.

It seems all the sellers on Ebay list our cars and the G8 as compatible with a HU43 key blade. When in reality our cars and the G8 come with a GM45 key blade. Slight difference so maybe they are compatible and will work either way but I am not sure so I just thought I would point it out. Seems the HU43 came factory in the GTO's so not sure if the sellers are just assuming compatibility in later years with all Pontiac's from AU??

http://i.imgur.com/UZNOk89.png

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Can I cut away the plastic and re-use the "blade" in a new flip key setup? My current key is a "straight" key.
I haven't cut apart my old key but I suspect it may have the same shape with the "roll pin" hole required for a flip key. Any idea whether this will work? Mine more like the GM45
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio