Are 9C3s really worth the extra cost?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
kevink

Are 9C3s really worth the extra cost?

Post by kevink »

Hey everyone,

I have just started looking for a Caprice and am wondering if the 9C3s are really that much better than the 9C1s. The main differences I see are carpet, console, and tap shift (please let me know of other significant differences that I'm missing). You can add carped and a console pretty easily and cost effectively, but it doesn't seem like tap shift can be added that easily. Is it even worth it, though? My limited experience is that you are often overruled by the car's computer and it ends up doing what it wants to do with respect to gear changes. For instance, if I want to go through the gears at WOT in my current car in "manual" mode (2013 Fusion w/ 2.0L turbo), it goes from 1st to 3rd with all kinds of drama because it thinks that's what it should do. It also downshifts by itself. Will a Caprice do similar things? Manual mode in my car is a gimmick in my opinion, and I would hate to hold out for a 9C3 and be disappointed with tap shift.

Is there any way to get full manual control of a 6L80, either through transmission modifications or computer tuning?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Are 9C3s really worth the extra cost?

Post by Pursuit »

Just my two cents... Searching for and finding a 9C3 took awhile. Besides having full carpeting, the "centered" console, matching front/rear seats, no spotlight holes, full wheel covers and the limited availability and the now discontinued RPO code 9C3, it was very much worth it. Paid just under $25k with 41 miles on it. 15 more months on the loan. My 9C3 has retained a value that is way above what I owe on it.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome Kevin!

Well.... a few things on 9C3's first. The console is not an easy add to this car, ask the members that have done it. Takes a long time to do and it's a bit labor intensive and expensive parts-wise. The carpet is an easier add, provided you can locate a factory OEM set that's not ruined from a wreck or just do an outright purchase from GM ($$). The full wheel covers for the steelies were pretty but I got rid of my factory wheels a long time ago, I replaced them with G8 GT wheels. This let me still run the stock RSA's. Having the window switches on the left side is nicer in my opinion, however you have to have the 9C1 for this option. My educated guess at the end of the day would be the 9C3 will definitely hold its value better as it's the analog to the consumer version of the car, Mom & Pop just usually don't like rubber mat or a funky flat center console. I was specifically looking for a 9C3 when I found my car, there weren't that many made in totality and when they do come up they tend to sell.

The tap shift does give you more control of the car with some caveats. It won't let you do anything really stupid in manual mode (there is a message that can pop up saying "Shift Denied" if you try to make the tranny go outside of defined RPM limits for the gear you want). You can use HP tuners or another tuning program to modify the transmission programming (I'll defer to Chris Henry on what you can make it do as that's his specialty) but buyer beware if you start modifying things too extensively. As you know you can hose your car with a tuning program if you're not careful. There are a few special transmission program parameters in for the police Caprices specifically for pursuit mode driving (look up the Performance Algorithm Liftfoot - PAL for example), but it is a proven fact with these cars that a good transmission tune can extract more performance without too much effort.

But, in sum if you have the chance to get a 9C3 IMHO it's worth it as long as the price differential is not too out there from what you'd pay for a similar car in the 9C1 configuration. The simple fact is that the civilian options are already in the car, you won't have to spend the time/effort and $$$ to upgrade the console, do bodywork to plug a spotlight hole, etc etc etc... , after the fact.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Yes, see above! :lol:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

its worth it just to get a car that was not ever used on "patrol" I've driven them for 20 years like that you wouldn't want to buy the car i had assigned for 2 years trust me.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

My 2 cents... I've owned many 9C1 cars over the years (and still own a few), strictly due to their performance and heavy duty features right out of the box. I never cared how they looked. But to some, they look too "wackerish"... There are unfounded opinions by uneducated people, just like there are unfounded opinions about the confederate flag, regarding those who drive retired police cars. That being said, I will never buy a retired cruiser again, or if I do, it will have to be over 20 years old or be modified to look completely civilian. I'm just tired of the "opinions". Law enforcement officials aren't exempt from those "opinions" either... Many years ago, I was pulled over multiple times by different cops asking questions (and wasting my time and theirs) because some moron in a 50mi radius was impersonating and illegally pulling people over (not in a retired cruiser in this case, which is ironic!).

I just don't want the problems or "opinions" anymore. It's not worth it. The 9C3 package gets you a civilian look right out the box with the heavy duty 9C1 features that I want. It's a shame the 9C3 package has been discontinued, but not a shame that I got one as soon as I could back in 2011! I paid sticker price for a car right off the lot and I have no regrets, even though 99.9% of the time, I would never pay sticker price for a car. LOL. The only regret I have is that I didn't wait long enough to find a blue 9C3. The dealer only had 13 white, gray, silver, red and black ones. And ended up sending 10 of them back to GM after a dispute over whether they could sell them to the public or not.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Just as a point of reference, the carpet new from GM is $790.00. It IS cheaper than the rubber mat, though

Okay, two points of reference, the shifter assembly for a 9C1 is available as a unit, but the 9C3 you have to piece it together, but it also includes pieces you have to add under the car, so if you want to add a 9C3 shifter to a 9C1, you'll really need a wrecked 9C3 to do it properly. A take out from a junk yard will no doubt miss some bits.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
NJ 9C3

Post by NJ 9C3 »

I've driven a 9C1 at work and drive a 9C3 as a personal. I would never get a 9C1 as a personal. I never wanted to feel like my personal car was a police car (personal preference). If I couldn't have a 9C3, I probably would go with a G8. I wanted that performance sedan and wanted it to feel and look like a civilian car. I absolutely love my 9C3 and had to pay dearly for it. Thus far, well worth it. Got lucky and didn't need to wait too long to get an excellent 9C3. If you are interested in a 9C3 there's one available in NJ with under 20K miles last time I saw it. Price isn't too bad. Let me know and I can reach out to the owner.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

9C3 owners are quite proud of their cars. I am one of the lucky few that managed to get a 9C3 that never saw use as a Police vehicle and I absolutely love my car. That being said I have owned 3 different 9C1 Caprices of the 93-95 B-Body type that I also liked very much, especially the two 95 Caprices that I had, which now two of my sons have. After changing the seats and adding Chevy Blazer center consoles those cars were the big, comfortable and powerful cars I was looking for at a price that was a third of what an Impala SS would have cost me. By the way, now that my sons have taken possession of the 95 9C1s I have gotten myself a cheap 96 Impala SS.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The Tech wrote:By the way, now that my sons have taken possession of the 95 9C1s I have gotten myself a cheap 96 Impala SS.
AND it's the best color!!!