Radio/HVAC screen is dead

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Maschinenbau

Radio/HVAC screen is dead

Post by Maschinenbau »

Hey all,
I'm working on sorting out my 2012 9C1 which I picked up in late April with 99k on the odometer.
The local Chevy dealer replaced the left side motor mount (under warranty!) and diagnosed my water leak as a bad radiator (which was not covered, though the water pump through thermostat were, so I rolled the dice with them instead of buying a tester myself).
I've had my car up on jack stands in the garage for the last three weeks while I swapped out the radiator and leaking A/C lines, and learned lots of lessons about interchangeability of parts between a Caprice and G8 (or lack thereof). I figured it would be a good time to do some 100k maintenance and preventative maintenance as well, so I changed the trans fluid and water pump (G8 water pump fits, but the inlet is on the wrong side of the pulley, so I had to make a custom hose to get back in business. Radiator does not, but radiator express seems to have a generous return policy ;) )
Anyway, about two days into the process, I figured out the battery was totally dead - I think I had left the keys in the ignition. I hooked up my battery charger, and everything blinked and clicked and was happy again, so I didn't think much more of it at the time.

Saturday night I finally got the car put back together, and as I started the engine to top off the trans fluid and charge the A/C, I noticed I didn't have control over the blower speed or temperature (stuck on high and cold, respectively, so at least I could charge and test it!).

I checked over the fuses under the hood (though none seemed obviously the one for that screen), and couldn't find any blown. I read through this forum, and tried the gentle blow to the face plate between the volume and tuner button, and have also checked that the power connector on the passenger side is still there. Steering wheel buttons will not turn the radio on. The rear defroster doesn't work, but the trunk will still pop (and sport shift and traction control still respond).

Anyone have any additional suggestions before I pop off that connector and check for power with my multi-meter?

(Additional interesting information - my kids discovered that the radio could be turned on (back when it worked) at any time just by pushing the button, no key necessary in the ignition. I didn't mind the "feature," but it seems weird).

Thanks!
-AA
2012 Caprice PPV
leadfart

Re: Radio/HVAC screen is dead

Post by leadfart »

The IQ screens on these occasionally go on walk about. It will usually reboot after a few minutes, or you can unhook the battery. Supposedly, it runs on Windows 98. Voltage seems to be a culprit as well. I leave mine on a battery tender, and leave HVAC off, that keeps the episodes down. It's very hard to service this issue, as the dealers generally don't have the software or hardware. YMMV
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Maschinenbau

Post by Maschinenbau »

I tried disconnecting the battery (the positive terminal under the hood, which seemed to kill everything except the yellow security light on the dash) and putting in on a charger for a few hours last night, but upon reconnecting it didn't return from its walk about. :?
Time to get out the multi meter!
-AA
2012 Caprice PPV
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

Mine has done this a couple of times. When it goes on it's "walk about" it still works you just can't see the display. It takes a full overnight rest for it to come back to life
Maschinenbau

Post by Maschinenbau »

I was in the trunk yesterday and noticed an additional fuse block over the battery.
I looked at the cover to see if any descriptions better matched the "infotainment" screen than what I remembered from under the hood.
"RDO" - hmm, radio?
I pulled the 25 amp fuse. It was not blown, but the contacts were a little corroded. When I put it back it, there was a little spark. When I jumped in and started the car, the flying Chevy symbol was back! Time and date were lost, but the radio still had all my presets!
I'm back in business.

Thanks all!
-AA
2012 Caprice PPV
alfa32

Post by alfa32 »

I have been experiencing the dreaded dead Radio/HVAC situation. I have read a variety of threads touching on this issue.
2012 9C3 15k miles
White radio upgrade, back up camera (I used the lighted license bracket mount), all functions had been working fine since work completed a few months ago (thanks Chris and Steve)
Factory Remote Start (a bit finicky but need to be close, I assume the transmitter)
Starting the car with key or remote- the screen stays blank, and HVAC doesn't work. I can't remember if this is the normal condition after remote start before inserting and turning key, but seems like I remember it that way....

I have done the door open 5 min trick suggested for 2014
I have pressed on the front control panel fascia (?contacts to silver box)
I have pressed in all the BCM fuses in kick panel (it worked on next restart, but not since, possibly random)
I have removed radio fuse in trunk, replaced, and unhooked battery.
None of these have helped. The car has been started dozens of time since it stopped working.

Many have found it to become functional randomly some time later, which isn't a great option in Michigan with the snow and no heat/defrost (I usually turn heat to cold when leaving car so it will heat up faster if I remote start).

Any new suggestions/solutions?

Thanks,
Rob
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Anecdotally, I've heard that sometimes there can be an issue with the "fingers" that make contact with the radio faceplate since it's a press-fit onto the silver box. This is a bit drastic, but if nothing else works you might try a disassembly and reassembly of the unit. You said Chris has programmed the box so I'm assuming it's been out at least once. If you do take the face off consider spraying the contacts down with Caig Laboratories "DeOxit", this is a very efficient, non-hazardous contact cleaner. I don't remember if the contacts are silver or gold, if they're gold plated Caig makes a cleaner for those specific type of contacts as well - it's called "ProGold".

I would not consider using any contact cleaner of lesser quality then DeOxit. They have a VERY good industry reputation and it's the only contact cleaner I use in something that I care about. It's a long shot, but it's something to try... If the unit is dead, it's not going to get any deader.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
drummerdaddy

Post by drummerdaddy »

this suggestion was spot on. worked exactly as described below. thanks a bunch! :D
Maschinenbau wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:43 am I was in the trunk yesterday and noticed an additional fuse block over the battery.
I looked at the cover to see if any descriptions better matched the "infotainment" screen than what I remembered from under the hood.
"RDO" - hmm, radio?
I pulled the 25 amp fuse. It was not blown, but the contacts were a little corroded. When I put it back it, there was a little spark. When I jumped in and started the car, the flying Chevy symbol was back! Time and date were lost, but the radio still had all my presets!
I'm back in business.

Thanks all!