1LE Camaro rear control arms

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
xcidmigs

1LE Camaro rear control arms

Post by xcidmigs »

I decided to install a pair of OEM Camaro 1LE rear control arms on the caprice in conjunction with a swap to SS sedan springs and later style PPV rear shocks on my 2011 9c3. Oddly the 1LE parts are very inexpensive and have a provision to use either the early style short rear sway bar or the newer style longer version. The bushing is clearly a different material much stiffer despite being smaller looking. Can't wait to drive with all this. I realize looking at this that the 1LE on the right looks like its a different length but its just how i laid them down, I measured using a longer bolt through both sets of holes and they are the same distance apart.
20160810_125736.jpg
20160810_125736.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 14261 times
CrashTestDummy

Re: 1LE Camaro rear control arms

Post by CrashTestDummy »

P/N, or ban! :shock:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/camaro-per ... arent=1032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I've been working on this myself....more to reveal at some point.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1103#p9966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I'm up against is that the width of the inboard sleeve/bushing on the Camaro arms is greater than the sedan version, and I'm still contemplating what approach to take to fix the issue. I actually purchased an SS bushing, which IS a service part, only to find that the OD is too large to fit in the Camaro arms, and, as revealed in your pictures, the Camaro arm inner bushing sleeve (welded into the arm) is wider than the sedan version AND is smaller ID. I need to post some bushing pictures and dimensions.

I've removed the Camaro bushings, and can cut the sleeve length down to sedan width, and press them back in--you may need to do something similar, or grind/cut the sleeves in place on the Camaro arms to allow them to fit in the sedan cradle mounting points.

Looking at the side-by-side difference at the inboard end (your photo), the question becomes WILL the Camaro arm actually fit and clear in the sedan cradle, once the bushing issue is resolved?

The SS rear control arm (2015>2017) has the provision for the 2nd design sway bar, which is the main reason for using these arms--the SS parts have the correct bushing width for the sedan cradle, but are WAY more expensive than using the Camaro kit (with a bit of effort to make them work).

By the way....the Camaro uses the same PN control arm on both sides, where the SS sedan has 2 PN's (L&R), because the inner bushing is designed to face a specific direction--same bushing, just installed in the arm(s) for use in the left or right side position (mirrored).
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Thank you! Wow, that IS cheap!! $70/pr!! I might just have to pull the trigger on that, since I still haven't installed my coil overs yet.

So you're saying the inner bushing ID is smaller? Sounds like that would allow one to have a greater range of camber adjustment with that. 'Crash bolts' without being actual crash bolts!!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Navy Lifer wrote:I've been working on this myself....more to reveal at some point.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1103#p9966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I'm up against is that the width of the inboard sleeve/bushing on the Camaro arms is greater than the sedan version, and I'm still contemplating what approach to take to fix the issue. I actually purchased an SS bushing, which IS a service part, only to find that the OD is too large to fit in the Camaro arms, and, as revealed in your pictures, the Camaro arm inner bushing sleeve (welded into the arm) is wider than the sedan version AND is smaller ID. I need to post some bushing pictures and dimensions.

Looking at the side-by-side difference at the inboard end (your photo), the question becomes WILL the Camaro arm actually fit and clear in the sedan cradle, once the bushing issue is resolved?
(mirrored).
I just finished the installation... Zero issues with anything fitting, your above statement about the camaro 1LE bushing being wider is not correct, they are the exact width and fit into the cradle pocket with no issues, yes they are smaller OD but the inner hole the bolt goes through is the same so there is no looseness or anything, the outer diameter being smaller i can only think is because the material they use for that is different than the OEM caprice version and only requires that much. I wonder if you are thinking that you have to use those 2 outer metal washer pieces from the Caprice bushing? You don't the 1LE bushings has a metal sleeve bonded to the entire inside when you tighten the bolts down its all metal on metal contact. I've dropped the car on the ground and its sitting on the SS springs also I'd swear its at the same height as when i started but of course it may settle after driving and the alignment has to be checked also.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

That's good news...I had not been up under the car looking to see what could be different, thus I had assumed something that turns out not to be the case--I had wondered if there might be some spacers of some sort to make up the difference, so if I understand your comments, is that the situation?

I removed the bushings in the Camaro arms because I ended up powder-coating the arms after some modification.

2011 Caprice control arms: (not enough detail compared to dealer info or service procedures to identify spacers)
Control arms:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ition=left" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... tion=right" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bushing (inner position on LCA's, same PN for both sides):
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ition=left" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just like SS sedan, these control arms are "mirrored", thus the 2 PN's--OE bushing orientation dictates which is LH & RH.

I do have some Whiteline poly bushings I may use instead of re-installing the OE rubber/steel sleeve Camaro bushings.

As for the lack of change in ride/trim height after the work, did you loosen every possible fastener in the rear suspension to let the bushings (there are MANY) "relax" and normalize, thus ensuring the car's ability to drop without any added resistance to motion/total drop?
kevink

Post by kevink »

Navy Lifer wrote:As for the lack of change in ride/trim height after the work, did you loosen every possible fastener in the rear suspension to let the bushings (there are MANY) "relax" and normalize, thus ensuring the car's ability to drop without any added resistance to motion/total drop?
Here's all those bushings:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 7424,d.amc
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Thanks for the above link I printed it and will take to the alignment shop. No i did not do anything like this since i had the car up on jackstands with wheels drooping only.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

xcidmigs wrote:....your above statement about the camaro 1LE bushing being wider is not correct,

acknowledged!

.....they are the exact width and fit into the cradle pocket with no issues, yes they are smaller OD but the inner hole the bolt goes through is the same so there is no looseness or anything, the outer diameter being smaller i can only think is because the material they use for that is different than the OEM caprice version and only requires that much. I wonder if you are thinking that you have to use those 2 outer metal washer pieces from the Caprice bushing?
Yes--I should have looked at the R&R procedure for sedans, as this is common to all (G8/PPV/SS)--the part is called a CAP, PN 92205631

Here are some pictures of what I've been working on....I hope it's interesting. Comments welcome!
Modified Camaro arm (for wide sway bar) and adjustable lower shock mount height. Current slug allows about 1/2" difference in rear height, from stock to 1/2" lower, depending on slug orientation, can make other slugs as necessary to fine tune body-to-wheel gap.
Modified Camaro arm (for wide sway bar) and adjustable lower shock mount height. Current slug allows about 1/2" difference in rear height, from stock to 1/2" lower, depending on slug orientation, can make other slugs as necessary to fine tune body-to-wheel gap.
LCA3.JPG (38.81 KiB) Viewed 14160 times
another view--thickness of slugs requires a longer thru-bolt for lower shock mount, using GM PN 11589282
another view--thickness of slugs requires a longer thru-bolt for lower shock mount, using GM PN 11589282
LCA4.JPG (35.16 KiB) Viewed 14160 times
Whiteline W63154A bushing kit--I'm going to try these rather than re-install the stock Camaro inner bushings, which were removed while having the arms powdercoated.
Whiteline W63154A bushing kit--I'm going to try these rather than re-install the stock Camaro inner bushings, which were removed while having the arms powdercoated.
LCA5.JPG (67.5 KiB) Viewed 14160 times
Whiteline bushings in arm, before sleeve installation.
Whiteline bushings in arm, before sleeve installation.
LCA2.JPG (25.32 KiB) Viewed 14160 times