door handle swap

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: door handle swap

Post by smwalker »

Also something I just realized. If you have 2012 and newer you have key cylinders on both front door handles. You would have to adjust the parts ordered from the lists above. I assume the drivers side and passenger side door handle covers for the key cylinders are interchangeable side to side. Just flip em.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

[/size]
storm9c1 wrote:Can the pictures above be updated/refreshed so that they load properly? I may have to help a friend perform a door handle swap on a car soon. Thanks!
FINALLY - I updated the corrupted pictures from 2013!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Good to know on the ability to refinish the inserts on G8 accessory handles.

You mention 2012 & later--the chrome/paint G8 accessory handle kit isn't serviced as separate parts, to my knowledge, so it may not be possible to get a second door-key cover for the right side for a 2012 & newer car.

I chose to use OE PPV textured handles, as I preferred not to add even more chrome to the car--the shop sanded the handles, used a filling primer, and they've worked out well. I don't know if the texture is in the mold for the handle, or if it's a coating that's applied, which means it might be removed with a soda blast treatment to get a smooth surface.

I still have a set of PPV stock handles, if someone wants to have them refinished or have me refinish them--this is a standing offer, just make sure I get the handles back from your car, or you make them available for the next person wanting to do the same thing.

G8 accessory handle kits are still available, in several colors--only a few even match PPV paint codes. Current list price is $205.00, and can probably be purchased for about $160.00 to $170.00.

Black (80U) Phantom Black Metallic - 2013 & later PPV (2011-2012 PPV was 41U Black)
92215796 Has Been Superseded To Part Number 92221899

White (11U) same as PPV Heron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Bill how is the paint on your handles holding up? Any cracks, flakes or separation?

Thanks for the updated pictures. Only 300 more to go! LOL

So I guess for the 2012+ people the old fill and sand would be the way to go. Or just eliminate the passenger side key barrel. Hopefully someone with a 2012 will chime in if they have gone through this.

Think I might try a do it yourself job on my old handles. Did your body shop mention what brand of filler they used? I am sure something they put in a spray gun right?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The shop I used seems to have done a quality job--no issues with the paint job--and nothing specific on the filler-primer, I suppose it's a standard body shop product.

For 2012 & newer, using stock door parts, it would be a matter of using one of the front door lock covers on the car, or getting the service part (assuming we're doing a rotable-pool exchange of handles, for example).

You have your take-off set to experiment with, just as I have an extra set. This might encourage others to start doing the swap--the G8 accessory parts are inexpensive (as a kit), if chrome is OK. At least we know that the inserts can be color-matched if the car color isn't one of those available.

Door lock cylinder cap info--search based on 2013 model year:
(smooth part info already posted by CP)

92172313 - grained finish, no paint (both sides for all except 2011)
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/p/Chev ... 72313.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current dealer COST: $26.55

92157438 - smooth, paint-to-match - G8 part, also works for Caprice
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/p/Chev ... 57438.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current dealer COST: $37.13

CP can probably supply these for less.
Hzgray

Post by Hzgray »

Old post I know.. I'd like to purchase the G8 GT paint/chrome levers mentioned above. I note that the PPV passenger side front has a cylinder lock and the G8 doesn't. I don't mind loosing access to the passenger side key lock. Will the G8 cap cover fit over the PPV key cylinder? I don't believe the chrome edged cylinder cap (paint to match) is available separately. Thanks.
2013 9C3, DoD delete, BTR Stg 1, Kooks 1 7/8, Rotofab, 3.27 Diff, VMR 810 wheels (staggered), King Springs (lowered), oh and a D1SC.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Hzgray wrote:Old post I know.. I'd like to purchase the G8 GT paint/chrome levers mentioned above. I note that the PPV passenger side front has a cylinder lock and the G8 doesn't. I don't mind loosing access to the passenger side key lock. Will the G8 cap cover fit over the PPV key cylinder? I don't believe the chrome edged cylinder cap (paint to match) is available separately. Thanks.
So you have the 13 correct? Looks like 2012 and on we got key cylinders on both front doors. You are correct the cap does not seem to come on it's own. Not sure if the non key cap and base would work with the key barrel there. You willing to loose the key barrel on the passenger side? That may be the most elegant solution.

You may have to be the test mule on this particular scenario. Not sure anyone has tackled 2012+ cars yet with this.

Good Luck brother, may the GM/Holden Gods shine down on you on your quest. ;)
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Hzgray

Post by Hzgray »

When I get some time I'll remove the cap and see if they can be swapped and/or lock cylinder removed.
2013 9C3, DoD delete, BTR Stg 1, Kooks 1 7/8, Rotofab, 3.27 Diff, VMR 810 wheels (staggered), King Springs (lowered), oh and a D1SC.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Some Breaking News on this topic.

It seems as though the handle design has changed in 2014. Ian from the caprice FAcebook group found out that if you have a 2014+ ppv you can use any door handles from regal, Cruze, volt, Camaro, ss, srx, etc. These are aftermarket ones on his black car.

And he somehow found a passenger side with a key hole. Trying to get more info on this one:
EDIT: OK the keyhole handles are interchangeable from drivers to passenger sides. So if you are ordering the numbers from a camaro you would get 2 drivers door handles with the key holes and 2 passenger side handles without the keyholes. Since of course the Camaro is only a 2 door. After market ones he had on there were about $50.00 each. Wonder how many of the other cars share our paint colors?

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Have not checked on remaining availability of the G8 accessory handles from GM. Only one or two colors actually matched, I recall, one being Heron White.

The issue with OE handles is the textured surface--they will work, but more effort is required (filler primer & sanding) to prep them for final color application.

Few if any OE replacement handles are delivered with color applied--mostly paint-to-match, last I checked....and I could be wrong, too!