20 pin USB input

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
kevink
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: 20 pin USB input

Post by kevink » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:56 pm

Steve- Are pins 1 and 3 connected to the metal housing that surrounds the jack on the board?

smwalker
Posts: 1511
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:44 am
Location: Azusa,CA

Re: 20 pin USB input

Post by smwalker » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:14 pm

Think there is a thread here that we discuss android. Basically the USB cord does nothing for android except maybe USB charging. The file structure on the phone is completely different from apple and how the phones interact with USB. You can turn your Android into a USB drive and play music but then I do not think it would charge and maybe even phone functions would be compromised.

At that point you may as well just put your music on a USB stick and play it that way.

You can however use all the functions of Bluetooth to control phone via google voice/siri. and that includes playing music over blue tooth i imagine, maybe someone else can chime in here, i still got a flip phone.

But for the Iphone its the bomb. it brings up all the data and steering wheel controls work to move around to each song.

I you just want a loose cord that is no problem. I did one for someone and found a nice looking cord end I will see if I can dig up witch one it was.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White

smwalker
Posts: 1511
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:44 am
Location: Azusa,CA

Re: 20 pin USB input

Post by smwalker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:13 am

kevink wrote:Steve- Are pins 1 and 3 connected to the metal housing that surrounds the jack on the board?
Are you asking if you can take a shortcut and just solder to the case as opposed to the individual pins? Not sure. I would think not as maybe videos should not share a ground? talking out my butt here.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White

91C02920
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Re: 20 pin USB input

Post by 91C02920 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:30 am

smwalker wrote:
kevink wrote:Steve- Are pins 1 and 3 connected to the metal housing that surrounds the jack on the board?
Are you asking if you can take a shortcut and just solder to the case as opposed to the individual pins? Not sure. I would think not as maybe videos should not share a ground? talking out my butt here.
That is how mine is set up. The negative is soldered to the case. Working well for me.
If you want to test it, just put the ohm meter on the pin and on the case.

kevink
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: 20 pin USB input

Post by kevink » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:47 pm

91C02920 wrote:
smwalker wrote:
kevink wrote:Steve- Are pins 1 and 3 connected to the metal housing that surrounds the jack on the board?
Are you asking if you can take a shortcut and just solder to the case as opposed to the individual pins? Not sure. I would think not as maybe videos should not share a ground? talking out my butt here.
That is how mine is set up. The negative is soldered to the case. Working well for me.
If you want to test it, just put the ohm meter on the pin and on the case.
I did mine like this as well, but it has been a long time. I'm sure I checked continuity between the ground pins and the case, I just don't remember doing it! This is the best way to do it as you don't have to remove the jack that's soldered to the board. The positive pins are easy to get to, but the grounds aren't.

Post Reply