Do these cars have crappy paint? Or am I unlucky?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
indianajoe

Do these cars have crappy paint? Or am I unlucky?

Post by indianajoe »

Driving to work Friday morning I got blasted by a salt truck driving down a two lane highway.
(I don't know why they were salting considering it rained all day and was above freezing...)

Anyway, it was such an impact I thought the windshield cracked (I wouldn't have minded, it already has a nasty star) no such luck. Instead, I was greeted by no less than five chips all the way through the paint. One on the roof, one on the a pillar, around the grille on the hood, and the front bumper, it even chipped the edge of the headlight

The car had plenty of chips before (presumably from dirt road sheriff life) but all this damage at once is kind of astonishing

Or the truck was just tossing gravel and not salt lol

So is the paint on these cars bad? I've heard people complaining about the paint on gtos before, wonder if Holden had improved their painting process
CrashTestDummy

Re: Do these cars have crappy paint? Or am I unlucky?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

There may have been some rock in that salt, although I'd bet if you loaded up a media blaster with salt, it'll do a nice job of removing the paint. Only problem is it'll also start rusting almost immediately. I'd bet on a rock.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

Well if it was one I'd say a rock,but it's a bunch of chips in different spots
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Living in Nebraska I can vouch for a mix of gravel and salt. The gravel provides traction as the salt melts the ice. And then remains on the road, ready to be thrown up by any aggressive tread that is ahead of you. The roads department will actually figure a mixture ratio of gravel to salt given precipitation and temperature expected.
In a past life I worked for the NDOT and an auto glass company...

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof