Camaro Brembos

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
hboost

Camaro Brembos

Post by hboost »

Hello, I've noticed that there's tons of Camaro SS Brembo calipers on eBay...is there a reason why these don't go on the PPV's? The brackets look the same, are they in fact different?
xcidmigs

Re: Camaro Brembos

Post by xcidmigs »

They bolt right on a PPV, the actual bolt is actually the correct size while on the CTS version you have to do some machining or use an insert... No reason not to use them other than they are used, price seems to hover around $100 a piece but some are more than the cost of brand new ones.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

FYI, the bolt that the Camaro application uses is to long and almost touches the rotor. I re-used the PPV bolts on my car and used a brake pad that dos not have the dampers sticking up.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
mbl98431

Post by mbl98431 »

Does this apply to all model years for the Caprice? What about the Camaro SS Host? And does it apply to all 4 wheels and fit with the stock steel wheels? It would be awesome to change them but I personally do not want to make any modifications that could possibly cause something detrimental.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

mbl98431 wrote:Does this apply to all model years for the Caprice?

What about the Camaro SS Host? And does it apply to all 4 wheels and fit with the stock steel wheels?
Does "what" apply to all model years(?) - I think you mean can the Brembo (front) brakes be installed on all 2011-2017 PPV's...the answer is YES.

The Camaro SS rear calipers will also fit--the debris shield on the Caprice rear needs some minor trimming to clear the Brembo rear caliper.

As Maurice points out, the Brembo brakes WILL clear stock steel wheels, as long as the correct brake pads are used in front (FMSI D1001). The Camaro uses a different brake pad (FMSI D1474), but it also has 20" wheels in all cases (SS). Both pads fit the front calipers.

You must replace the rotors with the rotors (355mm) as used on front of Camaro SS and SS sedan, and rear rotors (360mm) from 2015-2017 SS sedan.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Does anyone know if the camaro (or other models) brembo's are truly side specific? looking at them online, as i don't have any yet, they seem like they are not really its just a matter of the orientation of the bleeders and crossover tubes. Would seem like all the pads are square and that all the pistons are the same size and placed equally.

I'm asking because I found a cheap source of brand new OEM calipers however they have a stockpile of only one side or the other, which is clearly kinda useless unless you can take them apart and basically "make" yourself a pair from 2 lefts etc.

If i recall there was some version of these that required we re position the crossover tubes to install but i haven't found the thread yet?
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

The pistons in the caliper are different sizes, and I believe that is what makes the side specific

In the 4 piston rears there is a larger piston in the front, so if you switched side to side it would be in the wrong place
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

In response to your last question--for example:
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... =10#p14955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are "side specific" as far as Brembo and GM are concerned, because of the differential bore piston setup--in other words, the pistons are NOT the same size--there are 2 small pistons (28mm) and 2 large pistons (32mm) in each caliper.
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/prod ... ts_id=5431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's nothing to prevent them being installed "wrong", AFAIK, but the issue over time is that the side with the incorrect piston orientation is going to exhibit a pad wear/taper condition.
ryanswit

Post by ryanswit »

To be clear, camaro rotors won't fit with camaro brembos (off 2011, going on 2012) on the rear, and you need to get Chevy SS rotors instead?