2014 Kooks LT + Chevy SS mufflers = IT WORKS

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
Silversled

2014 Kooks LT + Chevy SS mufflers = IT WORKS

Post by Silversled »

Hi Everyone,

While my car is a 2014, this might work for previous years as well.

I've seen some of us installing Kooks LT headers and mid-pipes and then cutting and welding the rear pipes to match our mufflers. After doing some research I found that the sheetmetal body of the 2014/2015 Chevy SS muffler is the same as my 2014 PPV with both stamped "439" on it. With the similarity in chassis platforms, I betted it would work. I found brand new takeoff mufflers from a 2015. After installing everything, they bolt up! All that is needed is to extend the tailpipe after the muffler by about 6 inches. I bought a set of roll formed 2-outlet Redtail units that the SS guys seem to like. If anyone is looking for a practically near-bolt on solution, this might be it. Depending on the sound quality, I may opt later for the 2016+ bi-modal mufflers or any of the SS axle backs that are available.

I won't go into the installation unless someone wants more info or tips (there are many PIA items). The fit is awesome and I got them to tuck comfortably enough without tweaking the mounts to use the stock chassis "brace" unlike some others' experience. The only "fit" issue I had was the starter harness touching one of the passenger header tubes and needed to be moved out of the way and tied up.

Here are some gratuitous pictures. The headers are 1-7/8 stainless (uncoated) headers with race-catted mid pipes. All Kooks part numbers are for the 2014+ Chevy SS which come with the stock style Norma ball joint that connects to the stock SS mufflers.

Last edited by Silversled on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
CrashTestDummy

Re: 2014 Kooks LT + Chevy SS mufflers = IT WORKS

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So I'm guessing that you're using Kook's EVERYTHING from the LTs back to the SS mufflers? You don't mention what the piping in the middle is from/for/by. Looks nice. Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

CrashTestDummy wrote:So I'm guessing that you're using Kook's EVERYTHING from the LTs back to the SS mufflers? You don't mention what the piping in the middle is from/for/by. Looks nice. Thanks.
Hi 'Dummy (wanted to say that...LOL),

Yes! It is Kooks everything right back to the stock SS ball joint. The mid-pipe has the race cats on them but any variant of cat/no cat will work. I'll update my post to include details.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

It only works if you say that using your best Fred Sanford voice!! :lol:

Thank you. Just trying to figure out the combos here. I currently have an x-force exhaust to install, and am doing so behind the factory manifolds. I'm actually thinking about maybe replacing them with ZL1 manifolds, to help ground clearance and sound, but if I can get my hands on a set of LTs cheap, I might go that route, too.

I mean if the ZL1 manifolds can support nearly 600 HP.....
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

CrashTestDummy wrote:It only works if you say that using your best Fred Sanford voice!! :lol:

Thank you. Just trying to figure out the combos here. I currently have an x-force exhaust to install, and am doing so behind the factory manifolds. I'm actually thinking about maybe replacing them with ZL1 manifolds, to help ground clearance and sound, but if I can get my hands on a set of LTs cheap, I might go that route, too.

ZL1 manifolds + XForce sounds like an awesome combination! Please post results when you get done. I'd love to see.

BTW. LOL....Fred Sanford
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

CrashTestDummy wrote:It only works if you say that using your best Fred Sanford voice!! :lol:

Why do you keep saying the ZL1 manifolds are better? Its only been shown that they are a different metal composition than the stock style PPV/G8/CAMARO to better deal with the SC heat output? Also why would that change your ground clearance?
This setup kooks setup looks better on the clearance than my LS3 camaro exhaust does.

Anyway we can get a pic of how the exhaust hangs under the car while its on the ground, like put the camera down very low to ground?
cal30_sniper

Post by cal30_sniper »

How did you make the mid-pipes fit the extra wheelbase of our car? Did you use Caprice specific mid-pipes or weld in some extra straightpipe somewhere? From reading your original post, it looks like you just ordered a complete kit for an SS, and everything bolted right up, but I can't see how that's possible.
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler
kevink

Post by kevink »

cal30_sniper wrote:How did you make the mid-pipes fit the extra wheelbase of our car? Did you use Caprice specific mid-pipes or weld in some extra straightpipe somewhere? From reading your original post, it looks like you just ordered a complete kit for an SS, and everything bolted right up, but I can't see how that's possible.
Doesn't the muffler and tailpipe look way too far forward?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

cal30_sniper wrote:How did you make the mid-pipes fit the extra wheelbase of our car? Did you use Caprice specific mid-pipes or weld in some extra straightpipe somewhere? From reading your original post, it looks like you just ordered a complete kit for an SS, and everything bolted right up, but I can't see how that's possible.
That is correct. I just ordered the SS kit and installed it. There are three slip joints along the length of mid-pipe, each with a ton of overlap. I just adjusted the overlaps so the hangers were located correctly making sure there was at least 2-3 inches engagement at each location. Once the Accuseal clamps were tightened to spec they were solid. I bought the kit prepared to weld in sections but didn't need to.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

kevink wrote:
Doesn't the muffler and tailpipe look way too far forward?
No the muffler box is physically the same on both my 2014 PPV and the 2015 SS. The rubber isolator mount is transferred from the PPV muffler to the new SS. Both muffler bodies physically mount in the same location. In the picture, the Chevy SS polished finisher has been cut off already in preparation of adding an extension so it looks inset.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i