New Owner from Canada

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Mooseman

New Owner from Canada

Post by Mooseman »

Just registered and thought to just post an intro.

Just bought a 2011 9c1. 87k km and know the full history. It was never used on police patrol and was originally bought as a test vehicle for the feasibility of using these in the RCMP, which they didn't. It was then just used by Commissionaires (security guards) to patrol from building to building so it was not abused too much. :D

I just won a sealed bid auction and I know I got a smoking good deal on it. Here's a link to it:
https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc ... =ferm-clos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I still haven't picked it up. Hope to do that tomorrow 8-)

I'm a lifetime GM owner and I'm also very active (a moderator) on a forum dedicated to GM Trucks so I'm very familiar with forums. So if you need help with those, head on over. http://gmtnation.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We even had a discussion on Caprice PPV's. I made a lot of people jealous.

Hope to learn some more about this great and rare vehicle and hope to also be able to contribute. So rare in fact I have not seen any here. If there are some Canadians on here, would love to hear from you.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: New Owner from Canada

Post by smwalker »

Very nice!!They did not hack it up at all it looks like. I though somewhere the records show 2 caprices imported in to Canada. Guess yours was one of them!!

Welcome great to have you!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Welcome to the group! Pretty good group of people and info here. Any cold weather options, block heater?

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

congrats and welcome !
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Than ks for the welcome. I look forward to getting to know everybody.

Just brought it home. I'm still grinning ear to ear. Thought it was fast until I discovered sport mode. Wow! This thing is wicked fast! :twisted:

I read on here that there were supposedly 4 of them brought to Canada. Must be the reason why I can't insure it with my normal insurer. Asked another insurer, same deal. They consider it a commercial only vehicle because it was never offered to the public. They type in the VIN and they get an error indicating a wrong VIN. Another oddity is that the registration says it is diesel powered?!?! I think I'm gonna get screwed without lube for insurance going to a specialty insurance broker. :shock:

Absolutely nothing got hacked. Runs great except for the airbag error, which I just scanned as a B001B, passenger pre-tensioner high resistance. Nopefully it's just a loose connection. That's all it needs for the safety (and insurance).
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Mooseman wrote:Runs great except for the airbag error, which I just scanned as a B001B, passenger pre-tensioner high resistance. Nopefully it's just a loose connection. That's all it needs for the safety (and insurance).
Actually that code refers to the Re-tractor that is in the bottom of the B column of the car I believe:

DTC B001B 01: Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Loop Short to Battery

DTC B001B 02: Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Loop Short to Ground

DTC B001B 08: Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Loop Signal Invalid

DTC B001B 0D: Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Loop High Resistance

DTC B001B 0E: Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Loop Low Resistance

Of you can read the enhanced codes you could narrow it down a bit if you could the the 2 digit code after the main B code.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

smwalker wrote:
Mooseman wrote:Runs great except for the airbag error, which I just scanned as a B001B, passenger pre-tensioner high resistance. Nopefully it's just a loose connection. That's all it needs for the safety (and insurance).
Actually that code refers to the Re-tractor that is in the bottom of the B column of the car I believe:

DTC B001B 01: Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Loop Short to Battery

DTC B001B 02: Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Loop Short to Ground

DTC B001B 08: Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Loop Signal Invalid

DTC B001B 0D: Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Loop High Resistance

DTC B001B 0E: Passenger Seat Belt Retractor Pretensioner Deployment Loop Low Resistance

Of you can read the enhanced codes you could narrow it down a bit if you could the the 2 digit code after the main B code.
Interesting. I have a Tech 2 so I got the High Resistance one right away. High resistance I would imagine could be either an open or a bad connection. I sure hope it's just that and not the pretensioner itself that's borked.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Well, this is turning into an adventure and may be a very short ownership. I can't find insurance anywhere, even with specialty insurance companies. They just don't want to touch this thing.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

What lame reasons are they giving you? I know we initially had issues when I called USAA for insurance. They had trouble recognizing the VIN (it wasn't the standard US-style GM VIN). I quickly got that sorted out, and USAA treats it just like another car we have insured.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

That's basically what they're telling me. But they're hanging up also on the fact that it was never available to the public, hence, a commercial vehicle.

Called a couple specialty insurances and got the door slammed in my face. These are where collector cars get insured.