Need to replace the rear trim on the trunk lid

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
s/c'd cav

Re: Need to replace the rear trim on the trunk lid

Post by s/c'd cav »

CrashTestDummy wrote:
s/c'd cav wrote:the part is used on alot of cars , and one is for the radiator grill aka rad grl
But it listed on the page for the trunk lid trim. That's a little far from the radiator!!
on the caprice yes , but on other cars it was used on first no
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

smwalker wrote:
indianajoe wrote:I replaced mine with an Aussie embossed one, not a hard install at all, and i had to modifymy aus one to remove a center mounting post because of the keyhole
What did you do with the keyhole? Just leave it under the molding strip?
I attached it to the rubber seal with the screws and left it under the new one yes
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

indianajoe wrote:
smwalker wrote:
indianajoe wrote:I replaced mine with an Aussie embossed one, not a hard install at all, and i had to modifymy aus one to remove a center mounting post because of the keyhole
What did you do with the keyhole? Just leave it under the molding strip?
I attached it to the rubber seal with the screws and left it under the new one yes
A word of warning that some of the G8 guys are just figuring out now. IF the battery goes Flat (like really dead) from a short or just a long storage drain we cannot get into the interiors of our cars with the key. The key mechanism in the doors is not a mechanical system of rods and cables but rather just an electrical switch. So the G8 guys with no trunk keyhole have to "reach rod" their cars to get into them when the battery goes flat. We have the option of a mechanical trunk key (hooray!) - But not if you cover it up!!

So if you are going to install the very bitchen "Caprice" or "Statesman" trunk molding part of that mod should be a relocation of the trunk key barrel. But where should I put it Steve?? You ask. Well I just so happen to have an answer for ya!:

Trunk Key Barrel Relocation

END OF WARNING------
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

It would be nice to see what the Holden parts look like, but I'll probably go with the OEM trim piece. Putting a rear view camera in the keyhole spot would be nice, but I'll probably not get that involved with it. Thank you.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

CrashTestDummy wrote:It would be nice to see what the Holden parts look like, but I'll probably go with the OEM trim piece. Putting a rear view camera in the keyhole spot would be nice, but I'll probably not get that involved with it. Thank you.
1 is plan like ours , with or with out the cam hole , then one that says statesman in it
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

The Australian parts pre backup camera are embossed with Statesman, Caprice, or Grange, after the added the backup camera it looks the same as ours

Here's an older picture of my car with the Aussie Caprice trim
Attachments
Snapchat-5777437344534107657.jpg
Snapchat-5777437344534107657.jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 12212 times
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I went ahead and ordered the OEM replacement parts. They had to 'special order' them, so I'm waiting for that. :-/
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Got the parts in, and the trim strip swapped out. I slipped a 8mm/5/16" (I used both) socket over the plastic retainers to get them to release from the inside of the deck lid. Funny (kinda not) that I'd get one side released and the retainers on the other side of the lock cylinder would pop back into place. :-/

Anyway, I got it all done. I did have a look at my new 'Lock pilar trim':

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/chevrolet/ ... tion=right

I determined that at least the seat bottom will need to come out, and maybe the back seat back will need to be loosened up a bit before I can fit those pieces in. I had already been out in the shop for a couple of hours working on cleaning up the truck from our July 4th show last night, and getting things ready for next weekend's autocross event, so I figured I'd save that work for another day. It looks like the driver's side 'carpet retainer' trim piece has a chunk broken out of it, so I'll probably get one of those before pulling things apart again.

If your car had a 'perp cage' in it, where they removed the back seats, it's probable that these 'Lock pilar trim' pieces are missing from your car. If you can see the cabling running up the driver's side c-pilar, between the back seat back and the rear door seal, you're missing these parts.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?