New Maine Caprice Owner..

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
swintec

New Maine Caprice Owner..

Post by swintec »

Hi all. Got my 2012 PPV about 2 months ago. Love it so far. Wanted a crown vic for years, despite how stale the design was but I really like the looks of the new caprices (but always were hard to come by versus the vics). Dare I also say i actually kind of like the police wheels too. Picked it up for $8k after all fees. 67k miles. Runs great from my experience (but i am far from a mechanic). Seems to book for a fair amount over that. How did i do?

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/knMrK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pic 1: always been meh when it comes to white vehicles but i can live with it
Pic 2: Dont let he pollen fool you, the engine is very clean, just about as much as my new pickup
Pic 3: Just showing some of the wiring still running to the trunk. That drawer type thing slides in and out.
Pic 4: Love how they left the front strobes in the headlights (but just had to pull out the spotlight)...would really like to get those working (for science of course). How difficult to do?
Pic 5: Any idea what that wiring harness may go to just inside the hood? I found it coiled up tightly inside. I thought maybe there was a push bumper and that ran to the lights on it but it does not look like there was a push bumper there. Just seems like a lot of wire for something close by. I also assume that bracket is where the siren went?
Pic 6: Just a photo to show a sample of all the cat 5 wiring running around the front of the car and running back towards the rear / center console.
Pic 7: Interior. While I like the vinyl floors...i think the carpeting is in its future.

I have one key that refuses to work, despite me trying to program it. However it does work on the trunk and doors so I know it goes to the car. May have to go see a dealer.
I also want a push bumper because why not. the one i can find readily available is the Westin one, anyone ever go this route?
No Moa

Re: New Maine Caprice Owner..

Post by No Moa »

Welcome to another Mainer! What part of the state? I'm in Bath.

Where did you pick the car up?

I had to go to Pape chevy in Portland to get 2 keys made. $115 for 2. :shock:
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
swintec

Post by swintec »

No Moa wrote:Welcome to another Mainer! What part of the state? I'm in Bath.

Where did you pick the car up?

I had to go to Pape chevy in Portland to get 2 keys made. $115 for 2. :shock:
I am down in York county. Actually, i bought it from the Scarborough PD. :P With how much some of you have to go through to get the car to your door, i was very lucky. Almost like it was meant to be. Quick 25 minute drive over and I grabbed it myself.

Should have added, only 1650 idle hours which I think is pretty low for a 2012. Was a PPV for only 1 year before it was sent off to be used by their detectives which at that point saw little use.
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

They had a couple caprices I guess in Scarborough. I have a line of a couple local going to be sold next year, i'm hoping to score another one. Why I don't know. lol.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
swintec

Post by swintec »

No Moa wrote:They had a couple caprices I guess in Scarborough. I have a line of a couple local going to be sold next year, i'm hoping to score another one. Why I don't know. lol.
York county has at least one that I have seen. They have used Impalas for years but are slowly transitioning to the SUVs. The officer(s) with the caprice begged for it so they could have the additional room on the inside, something that the impalas just do not give.

Did the dealership that you bought your keys from have the blanks on hand or did they have to order? Make them on site for you? Was the price pretty standard or more or less depending on who you got at the counter and how well you can dicker with them?

Any idea about that wiring in my pics? Do those strobes need anything more than a simple on and off switch to operate?
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

They had to order them. I bought some off Ebay, the push button for the locks worked, but the keys were from something else. So I had to buy some. I ordered them, took my key down and they cut them right there.

the strobes i'm guessing will need a strobe pack to active them. I have several if you need one.

the red and black, maybe the siren like you said near the brackets for the siren

The box on the pass front is the wig wag box.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
swintec

Post by swintec »

No Moa wrote:They had to order them. I bought some off Ebay, the push button for the locks worked, but the keys were from something else. So I had to buy some. I ordered them, took my key down and they cut them right there.

the strobes i'm guessing will need a strobe pack to active them. I have several if you need one.

the red and black, maybe the siren like you said near the brackets for the siren

The box on the pass front is the wig wag box.

Thanks. I will order some blanks later today so i can take them in to be cut.

Sorry, which is the wig wag box? Does that also control the headlight flashers? I wonder if they left the wig wag box the strobe pack is still in there.
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

Pass side, on the rad support, there is a box there for the wig wags. It's ok one of your pictures. Stobe box would probably be in the trunk if it was still there.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
swintec

Post by swintec »

No Moa wrote:Pass side, on the rad support, there is a box there for the wig wags. It's ok one of your pictures. Stobe box would probably be in the trunk if it was still there.
thanks. that goes into a huge mess of wires / harnesses. all greek to me though.