Searching...

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Navyvet84

Re: Searching...

Post by Navyvet84 »

Sanford wrote:Below is a link to 6 Caprices in Tumwater Washington, if you don't mind bidding on one.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=M ... rchPg=Main

David
Thanks, I plan on looking at them tomorrow in person! Hopefully I find a winner and a deal on a Setina wrap around!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Battery specs for PPV call for an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery, which is sealed and has no free sulfuric acid, but I suppose that won't stop a crackhead.

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... e24#p10097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navyvet84

Post by Navyvet84 »

Navy Lifer wrote:Battery specs for PPV call for an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery, which is sealed and has no free sulfuric acid, but I suppose that won't stop a crackhead.

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... e24#p10097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AGM's IMO are only worth it in an unsealed battery compartment. I know Holden/GM call for one the same reason off road and race teams use them: g-load spillage. Simply put, they won't spew acid all over your engine compartment under negative g-load "becoming air born". Electronically speaking there's zero difference between them. Don't get me wrong, I run AGM's and gel cells on my track car and my wheeler, for that exact and only reason.

So yeah, if/when Methy Mike gets my battery, it'll be a good ol sulfur splodey! But also like you said: they wouldn't know the dif!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Navyvet84 wrote:
Navy Lifer wrote:Battery specs for PPV call for an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery, which is sealed and has no free sulfuric acid, but I suppose that won't stop a crackhead.

AGM's IMO are only worth it in an unsealed battery compartment. I know Holden/GM call for one the same reason off road and race teams use them: g-load spillage. Simply put, they won't spew acid all over your engine compartment under negative g-load "becoming air born". Electronically speaking there's zero difference between them. Don't get me wrong, I run AGM's and gel cells on my track car and my wheeler, for that exact and only reason.

So yeah, if/when Methy Mike gets my battery, it'll be a good ol sulfur splodey! But also like you said: they wouldn't know the dif!
Flooded batteries CAN, and DO spill acid, and not just in 'negative g-load situations'. So AGMs are worth every penny to getting the liquid acid out of the car so they don't spew acid all over your battery terminals and tray.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navyvet84

Post by Navyvet84 »

CrashTestDummy wrote:
Navyvet84 wrote:

Flooded batteries CAN, and DO spill acid, and not just in 'negative g-load situations'. So AGMs are worth every penny to getting the liquid acid out of the car so they don't spew acid all over your battery terminals and tray.
I guess I'm just intrigued by just how many batteries you've had do this over time that ended up making up for the $2-300 difference per battery?! 20 years of racing and off road desert racing, and besides being air borne or taking 1g+ corners, I've never had a lead acid battery fail to the point where it does that kind of damage, especially not in a daily driver. Now that being said, I DO have a hook up with an Interstate Battery rep, so to me it's: Do the preventative maintenance for that type of battery *specific Gravities, keeping up on distilled water replacement* and it will do just fine.

I would be very interested in hearing the conditions of those battery failures related to this car though, I might have to put an AGM in one if this car truly does just hate lead acids...
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I've probably had 5 or 6 batteries in my lifetime do this. And other than the usual sloshing and venting of acid vapors, they're just bad overall. The last one to do it was one of the OEM batteries in our '02 GMC 2500HD. It ate some of the positive terminal, as well as spilling onto an otherwise spotless battery tray. The cables on those things are very long, and snake all around the engine compartment, and while being difficult to replace, they're also expensive.

Our policy now is to get rid of flooded batteries in any new (even new-to-us) car we pick up. The Caprice had an AGM in the secondary spot, and a flooded battery in the primary tray. I got a smaller Odyssey for the passenger side, and moved the AGM to the driver's side. I plan to use the Odyssey as a stand-by battery and use cables to reach across should I ever need it.

Flooded batteries have no redeeming value IMHO. ;)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navyvet84

Post by Navyvet84 »

Sorry been out in the field, still here though! I check my oil every morning, so I'm going to say I've never had a major battery failure just probably due to the fact I check them visually when I check my fluids. Old habits die hard, but it's saved my ass quite a few times lol, and a cat once *he fell asleep on the fan shroud*!

I have another question, instead of spending $2-300 on an inspection, is there any Chicago residents that wouldn't mind looking at a '12 PPV for me? I'm wanting to fly in, drive out, so if you do the inspection and it's all good: Dinner and beers on me! Hopefully at a place cheaper than $2-300 lolololol!