13 9c1 headlamp removal

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
miket

13 9c1 headlamp removal

Post by miket »

For the life of me I thought I saw a post regarding the steps required to remove the headlamps (which include removing the front fascia). Can someone repost that information as I need to replace the front fascia and do some work on the headlamps.
2013 Caprice 9c1 PPV
1969 Caprice Custom Cpe 427
78 C10 Big ten 350Ho
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: 13 9c1 headlamp removal

Post by smwalker »

I posted a sort summary in the fog lights thread, see if this helps you:

1. Remove wheels or just turn full lock to one side for better access to screws.
2. Remove the two T20 Torx screws going through the fender liner and into the bumper on each side of the vehicle.
3. Pull fender liner back and unscrew (but do not remove) the two 10mm bolts you see going through the top edge of the bumper and into the fender on each side of the vehicle. The heads on these are slotted to come out of the slots they are in when you pull things loose later
4. Remove the four 7mm screws along the bottom front of the bumper.
5. Remove the 4 plastic rivets along the top center of the bumper
6. The bumper is now loose so go to one side and try to separate it from the fender. If it is not moving you may need to loosen the 10mm bolts a bit more to create a larger gap between the bumper and fender. There is a pin in there that lines them up, you need to get a big enough gap to clear that pin.
7. Once separated from the fender slots give it a yank to unhook the tabs under the headlights that may still be holding it.
8. Realize now may be a good time to have an extra set of hands and yell for your spouce/neighbor to hold one end of the bumper for you while you go to the other end and get it loose.
9. If you have not already done so disconnect the connector X108. Follow the bumper harness wires to the area under the headlight it should be up in there. The bumper will have to be loose and you may have to move the fender liner out of the way to get you hand up in there to disconnect.
10. Place bumper on something soft to protect the paint.

11.Remove bumper bracket - Under the front of the right headlamp there is a bracket that the bumper slots into, remove that to get to the headlamp screws, it's 2 10mm bolts

12. In either order remove the headlamp capsule and unplug the wiring connector. 4 10mm bolts to remove it (2 lower ones are a bit hidden). Pull up on the red tab on the connector to help remove the plug.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
miket

Post by miket »

smwalker wrote:I posted a sort summary in the fog lights thread, see if this helps you:

1. Remove wheels or just turn full lock to one side for better access to screws.
2. Remove the two T20 Torx screws going through the fender liner and into the bumper on each side of the vehicle.
3. Pull fender liner back and unscrew (but do not remove) the two 10mm bolts you see going through the top edge of the bumper and into the fender on each side of the vehicle. The heads on these are slotted to come out of the slots they are in when you pull things loose later
4. Remove the four 7mm screws along the bottom front of the bumper.
5. Remove the 4 plastic rivets along the top center of the bumper
6. The bumper is now loose so go to one side and try to separate it from the fender. If it is not moving you may need to loosen the 10mm bolts a bit more to create a larger gap between the bumper and fender. There is a pin in there that lines them up, you need to get a big enough gap to clear that pin.
7. Once separated from the fender slots give it a yank to unhook the tabs under the headlights that may still be holding it.
8. Realize now may be a good time to have an extra set of hands and yell for your spouce/neighbor to hold one end of the bumper for you while you go to the other end and get it loose.
9. If you have not already done so disconnect the connector X108. Follow the bumper harness wires to the area under the headlight it should be up in there. The bumper will have to be loose and you may have to move the fender liner out of the way to get you hand up in there to disconnect.
10. Place bumper on something soft to protect the paint.

11.Remove bumper bracket - Under the front of the right headlamp there is a bracket that the bumper slots into, remove that to get to the headlamp screws, it's 2 10mm bolts

12. In either order remove the headlamp capsule and unplug the wiring connector. 4 10mm bolts to remove it (2 lower ones are a bit hidden). Pull up on the red tab on the connector to help remove the plug.
Thanks Steve...looks like I will be doing this next weekend. Know anywhere to get a new front white fascia?
2013 Caprice 9c1 PPV
78 C10 Big ten 350Ho
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

miket wrote:
Thanks Steve...looks like I will be doing this next weekend. Know anywhere to get a new front white fascia?
WHats wrong with yours ? Just holes or more serious?
EDIT: Oh I saw yours on FB. I think you could repair those holes. Shops do it daily as INsurance companies dont py for new covers anymore unless thrashed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqtOGI2To7s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
miket

Post by miket »

Just clean up... I have an alignment issue on the pass side where the cover meets the fender and headlight but really just the holes. All four of them.
2013 Caprice 9c1 PPV
78 C10 Big ten 350Ho
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

if you have to replace our headlights , they are not cheap !!

list price is in the mid 700 range each , almost as bad as my gto is , which is about 900 each
miket

Post by miket »

s/c'd cav wrote:if you have to replace our headlights , they are not cheap !!

list price is in the mid 700 range each , almost as bad as my gto is , which is about 900 each
Yup and they are nowhere to be found in reasonable shape. Covers were gone off both mine and the inside is dirtier than the outside. May have to try and split them apart, clean, spruce up and put back together. But I still need the round covers for the low and high beams.....
2013 Caprice 9c1 PPV
78 C10 Big ten 350Ho
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

should be those according to gmparts direct

10 92193036 Rear Cover

Rear Cover, RIGHT

LOW BEAM BULB
$12.90 $8.36
11 92252266 Rear Cover

Rear Cover, RIGHT

HIGH BEAM BULB
$38.98 $25.26
miket

Post by miket »

s/c'd cav wrote:should be those according to gmparts direct

10 92193036 Rear Cover

Rear Cover, RIGHT

LOW BEAM BULB
$12.90 $8.36
11 92252266 Rear Cover

Rear Cover, RIGHT

HIGH BEAM BULB
$38.98 $25.26
Thanks for the look up. I guess these are really heavy...almost $46 in shipping from GMParts direct. Crazy. I will go visit my Chev dealer and look around some more.
2013 Caprice 9c1 PPV
78 C10 Big ten 350Ho
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

those are each , so two of each part # for each headlight