Radio - USB connection...

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Fudgehog

Re: Radio - USB connection...

Post by Fudgehog »

You're positive Chris can unbrick it? And if you did send me some plug ins that would be great! Quick questions though, what about the cord that radrace supplies? Is that needed? The 92196640 one. Only thing is I have $162 spent with the dealer with them saying if I get the USB port on they will do the update for no additional charge because they already bricked it for now. Climate controls aren't even adjustable anymore.

Maybe I can get them to refund me, but I'm not sure.

And yes I was just reading over that thread. I'm electrical savvy, but damn it does piss me off and that seems like it would a lot. Haha
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

NO not positive Chris can do anything with it. Please contact him directly and get advise if you should proceed any further with the dealer or not. Smart dealers in the know just send it to him anyway and mark up his cost.

Not sure who,what radrace is, have any links to the cord they offer? EDIT oh sorry you mean he mentioned that earlier in this thread. DUh on me. I think he is talking about the AUX in plug there with the bit of red on it. I think.. Have to reread, Old thread we have solved most of these issues in the newer How to's.

And yea them little terminals piss me off something fierce.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Thanks I will message Chris and ask him to take a look at my posts. I appreciate your help, would Chris need a USB port in place ahead of time to update btw? I'm assuming yes, and as soon as I'm off this third shift I am going back to the dealer to try and get all my money back. Or at least most of it.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

No Chris does all the programming at his end and does not supply any cable or USB upgrade sticks or stuff like that. You give to him he takes care of it and yo get a working unit back, hopefully in your case.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Thank you sir, much appreciated. But I was asking if he needs the USB port to update the unit. If he does not, then that's better yet.

Damn, Saturday and Sunday only sucks for business hours. I'll need to resend it then. Hopefully he'll be able to help me, and I really hope the dealer gives me most of my money back.

Chris responded promptly, excellent service. He said he can fix it and is awaiting my order and shipment. Very nice!

My Caprice must be the same color as yours. It's a 2013, originally from Washington State Patrol, with no underbody rust. (Don't worry, not MY oil spill).
Attachments
IMG_20170818_183517.jpg
IMG_20170818_183517.jpg (608.28 KiB) Viewed 11007 times
Last edited by Fudgehog on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Ah sorry, no Chris just needs your silver box, thats it. Once you get it back and want to add a USB and AUX in for music input then we can talk what you want to do cable wise. Here is a breakdown of whats available in general: USB Cable Options

You know if you don't want to tackle the removal of the silver box you may want to see if you can negotiate with the dealer to take it out for you with the money you already paid. Stress to them they were the ones who started down a programming path not having all the proper equipment to finish it costing you even more money now.

If they go for it ask that two things be stipulated in the work order. They pay for any broken interior pieces and that if they damage the antenna connector they will pay for a repair of that as well. Then tell them: DISCONNECT THE ANTENNA BEFORE REMOVING THE SILVER BOX!!

Glad to hear Chris can fix you up. You wont regret it.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Sorry to interrupt but is there a write-up on how to remove the silverbox without damage? I need to do this as well but I just got the car and I'm not familiar enough with it as yet. As in --I'm assuming the silverbox is silver and box-like and easily identified?

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

It is box like in appearance! :P

We got a long thread here with the pics and diagrams around page 4 but take the time to read the entire thing so you can see how important it is to UNPLUG THE ANTENNA FIRST!!

Removing Radio

Pay particular attention to the tip of removing the dash clips from behind where you can as that will prevent damage on the panels from prying them up.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Yeah, I am extremely disappointed with this dealership. They won't issue even a partial refund for me and basically told me to kick rocks. When she called me she even said that "they spent enough time on it already". Needless to say I left a one star google review. Absolute garbage for service.

I'm going to pull the radio out myself and have begun reading that thread, I will be delicate. The dealership has both of the side trim panels off for me because they were planning on ripping the radio out with no game plan and no way to complete the programming. Incompetent people for sure. They just wanted to charge me the $580 they quoted me just to pull the radio!

I'm going to call and ask for a manager once they open up today. Good, they refunded me half!

Active Duty USAF
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Interesting strobe in the headlight bucket. I understand why they didn't remove them when they retired the car. That would be a lot of work.

Ours '12 doesn't have those, but does have strobes hanging from the side view mirrors.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?