16 Up A-body wheels

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
89LT19C1

16 Up A-body wheels

Post by 89LT19C1 »

Can you use the 2016 up A-body Camaro wheels on the Caprice? I have a line on some super cheap ones and I am tempted to grab them even though I don't have the car yet. They are 20 X 8.5 and 20 X 9.5. But I can get a set of 4 20 X 8.5's. I did check and the bolt pattern is the same. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Chris
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: 16 Up A-body wheels

Post by Navy Lifer »

Well...

Not sure about PPV owners, but there are some SS's with the A-body 20" Camaro wheels out there. No idea if there are clearance issues, what tire sizes are in use, or what remedies are being employed to fix any clearance issues.

Here's some info for comparison:

Stock SS sedan wheel specs:
F - 19x8.5 +48 offset
R - 19x9.0 +57 offset

Zeta Camaro wheel specs:
F - 20x8.0 +35 offset
R - 20x9.0 +40 offset

Alpha Camaro wheel specs
F - 20x8.5 +25 offset
R - 20x9.5 +39 offset

F&R - 18x8.5 +32 offset

It is a long way from a stock SS front wheel to an Alpha Camaro front wheel--21mm is nearly an inch difference on the same wheel width. Whether it clears the wheel opening or not (tire size and ride height dependent), the changes to the way load is carried into the front wheel hub/bearing alone, as well as the effect on scrub radius, makes the 2016+ front wheel a concern, at least for me.

We've well-established that the Zeta Camaro SS rear (9.0") wheel is a potential problem as far as tire rub on the rear wheel opening--again tire size and ride height dependent. The Alpha Camaro 20" rear wheel will only make the situation worse--rolling or clearancing of the rear wheel openings will be mandatory.

It may not be what you want to consider, but it IS possible to use the rear SS sedan wheel on front, with a proper spacer/adapter, and have adequate clearance without upsetting scrub radius or bearing loading nearly as much as using Alpha wheels. The 9" SS sedan rear wheel could be slightly spaced outward at the rear for improved visual appearance.

I'm not aware if any aftermarket wheel suppliers offer wheels that duplicate the OE wheel offsets with different wheel designs that may be more or equally appealing.

One option to consider with the Alpha wheels is to see how much "meat" is available on the back (mounting pad) to shave a few millimeters off to bring those wheels inward slightly. It CAN be done.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
89LT19C1

Post by 89LT19C1 »

Thanks for the info.

Chris
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

ive seen the 16-17 camaro wheels on G8's also

what was done , or if they fit or not im not sure
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

My own experience with a +32mm offset and even +35mm offset, using 255/45 or 255/40 tires, resulted in a rub condition when the suspension is compressed. The Alpha front wheel offset moves the tire further out, which apparently isn't problematic.

The Alpha rear wheel offset places the wheel at about the same position laterally as the Zeta Camaro (9" +40mm) rear wheel, but the Alpha wheel is an additional 1/2" wider, so the rub problems known with Zeta 9" rear wheels is only more likely with the Alpha 9.5" rear wheels.

That's contrary to what people are reporting when using these wheels on PPV. There are currently a number of PPV, G8 and SS owners using the 2016 Alpha Camaro wheels - the clearance issues have not changed, but some report doing so without rub issues, even using SS or lowering springs.

I'm now running a +47mm offset, using a 255/45 tire, with no rub--and no wheel opening modification.
nh_rick

Post by nh_rick »

IMG_20180520_133530455_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180520_133530455_HDR.jpg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 10117 times
I have a 12 Caprice that I put 6gen Camaro wheels on. I ran 4 fronts. Tire size is 255/35-20. They look great and I haven't had any issues. I apologise for the pic size, I have no idea how to change it