Weird shifting in sport shift mode

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Mooseman

Weird shifting in sport shift mode

Post by Mooseman »

On my 2011, I've noticed that if in Sport Shift mode and I drive it like I stole it, it won't upshift after I go back to driving it normally. I'd let off the gas and be cruising 80km/h, it's revving like 4-5000RPM. I have to take it out of Sport Shift mode to get it to upshift.

In "Regular" mode, it shifts fine no matter how I drive it. Just in Sport Shift it will act weird only after driving it hard. Before, it shifts fine.

Is this normal?
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
BIG_GREEK

Re: Weird shifting in sport shift mode

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Pulled directly from the manual...

"6-speed automatic, electronically-controlled transmission provides protection against over-revving the engine in low gear; if a driver manually selects low gear, the powertrain control module automatically protects the drivetrain. Includes Sport Shift mode where maximum transmission responsiveness is required. The Sport Shift mode On/Off button is located on the instrument panel to the left of
the steering column. When in Sport Shift mode, the transmission will delay upshifts and allow earlier downshifts. In addition, the transmission can sense enthusiastic driving, at which point it may delay upshifting and downshifting earlier when braking and is
designed to maximize vehicle performance."
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Thanks for that. Mine didn't come with the manual so...(that's my excuse :mrgreen: )

It still felt weird though, just cruising and it didn't upshift. Next time, I'll let it do its thing and see if it eventually upshifts.

"Enthusiastic driving". I like that! :D
garrett

Post by garrett »

I've got a '12 and it acts the same way. Half the time it works like I want it to, but most of the time it hangs revs and won't upshift for at least 5 seconds. I noticed it likes to up shift more when I stay in the throttle to a small degree, rather than lifting completely.
Last edited by garrett on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Mine's the other way. Sometimes it won't upshift so the engine is revving higher than normal in the lower gear. I could see this as useful if letting off the gas a bit to round a curve while in "pursuit" 8-)
garrett

Post by garrett »

Mooseman wrote:Mine's the other way. Sometimes it won't upshift so the engine is revving higher than normal in the lower gear. I could see this as useful if letting off the gas a bit to round a curve while in "pursuit" 8-)

Oops, meant to say *upshift.