How to mount the "reinforcement panel"

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
paul54

How to mount the "reinforcement panel"

Post by paul54 »

My car was missing this, just a big hole between the back seat and the trunk. But I can't figure out how to mount it. I got it today, its sort of a particleboard like thing!

Anyone have a pic?

Thanks.
rearpanel.JPG
rearpanel.JPG (33.66 KiB) Viewed 13624 times
20171130_161901 (Medium).jpg
20171130_161901 (Medium).jpg (91.4 KiB) Viewed 13624 times
elc32955
System Manager

Re: How to mount the "reinforcement panel"

Post by elc32955 »

Have you thought about swapping in a SS rear seat set with the pass through to the trunk? If you do that you won't need the panel...

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
paul54

Post by paul54 »

I had not thought of that yet. I guess my goal right now is to get it to "the way it was", and undo some of the upfitters mess. I am so new to this car, I really don't have a good grasp on the interchangeable parts between the 2014 and SS or G8. It seems there are different wheelbases, etc, and frankly I have not had time to learn it all yet.

I am a ham operator (you can see two of the radios mounted) and am converting this into a rolling, fast, radio shack! I am interested in doing something with the seats, as I have the cloth cop seats in front and the black vinyl in back, which is a pretty horrendous combination.

I also plan to redo the headliner and rear package tray in black (maybe alcantera?) and paint any remaining grey trim to black. I've been watch trim painting videos and it looks like the SEM products might be good.

Having a ton of fun with this thing!

Thanks for all your help so far.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

That will block the carpet that is on the back of your seat yes? So won't look as nice from the trunk. Or is it carpeted on one side?

IN the 2 caprices I have torn into I have never seen that part.

Or maybe it goes under the carpet that is on the back of the seat???

EDIT: Yes just looked at the back of my 14 and there is a similar panel behind the carpet square on the back of the seat. so fits in the depression on the back of the seat.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
paul54

Post by paul54 »

Ha, ok I am a moron.

I had the seat out of the car, and was looking at the hole, and saw the panel on a parts explosion, figured I needed it.

Mine is like yours.

Anyone want to buy a reinforcement panel?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

paul54 wrote:
I also plan to redo the headliner and rear package tray in black (maybe alcantera?) and paint any remaining grey trim to black. I've been watch trim painting videos and it looks like the SEM products might be good.

Just a note on this. I did a black fabric headliner and painted the A, B, C pillar covers black (Landau Black) that come in tan. I would not recommend it for the A and B pillars. Either get the black ones from the G8 or cover them in your headliner material whatever you choose (alcantara would look sweet). Reason I do not recommend it is I did the SEM treatment, followed every step in prep to the T and still am getting some wear through at wear spots. The C pillar got one chip during install but it is so out of sight back there no use worrying about it.

Some pics for you. Wear around the seat belt slot, Wear where my Sun shade rests, and wear at the dash trim and A pillar intersection.
IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_1242.JPG (107.68 KiB) Viewed 13560 times
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG (157.98 KiB) Viewed 13560 times
IMG_1239.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG (74.57 KiB) Viewed 13560 times
IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG (84.6 KiB) Viewed 13560 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
paul54

Post by paul54 »

Thanks for those photos. interesting, as SEM seems to get praises all over the place. I can't tell what color the pieces come in from the GMparts site.

There is also an Eastwood product, that is only in black (which works for me) that might be better. I will see if I can find it again.

I broke a few tabs this weekend pulling the rocker panels off when I was installing some of the control cables for my radios. So I need to order stuff anyway.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Well the G8's upper plastics Only came in Black and the Caprice only came in the tan so they wont label them with a color for that reason.

IF you do end up painting maybe a couple coats of a clear will help with the longevity.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
paul54

Post by paul54 »

Steve, just following up on this, as I am going to start pulling pieces out in the next few weeks. Is there a good source of info as to which G8 trim pillar parts match our PPV's? I would guess certainly not C pillar stuff due to change in length of car. Although I see on some GM sites that many interior G8 parts are no longer around? Thanks.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

smwalker wrote:
paul54 wrote:

Just a note on this. I did a black fabric headliner and painted the A, B, C pillar covers black (Landau Black) that come in tan. I would not recommend it for the A and B pillars. Either get the black ones from the G8 or cover them in your headliner material whatever you choose (alcantara would look sweet). Reason I do not recommend it is I did the SEM treatment, followed every step in prep to the T and still am getting some wear through at wear spots. The C pillar got one chip during install but it is so out of sight back there no use worrying about it.

Some pics for you. Wear around the seat belt slot, Wear where my Sun shade rests, and wear at the dash trim and A pillar intersection.
IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG
Not sure about your car, but the last two we bought, a ‘10 Tahoe PPV, and our ‘12 Caprice had the interior literally hosed down with the Armor All crap. It was pooling in the corners of the floor liner in the Tahoe. NOTHING will stick to that crap but dirt, and it’s nearly impossible to get it all off the interior panels. I’m not surprised you have some SEM wearing off in places.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?