Splitter, anyone?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Splitter, anyone?

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene, the shape of the PPV bumper, since it's rather "stubby", with little overhang, would not lead to a splitter size that offers any real benefit under the (I assume) SCCA rules for the class you're trying to stay in (I'm assuming)...at least from my perspective.

"Illegal" only means without being bumped into a class you don't want to go...correct? I can't imagine it's not allowed, period. SCCA is an organization that exists to frustrate anyone showing up with a vehicle outside of their classification "norms"....4-door sedans don't fit the Sports Car definition, so the classification process has always been an exercise in futility from my experience.

The front end stubbiness is exactly one of the things that the splitter shown is taking advantage of, to extend the front view visually, and at the same time offer some aero benefit.

As it's currently configured, it would not be possible to slide the splitter back, but you've got the right idea, and could design your own which COULD be adjusted as you describe.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

For SCCA autocross competition, ANY splitter that sticks out ahead of the forward-most portion of the bumper (cover) and is not factory-equipment, is illegal in ALL classes except the modified classes. We run in C Prepared, and it's even not allowed there. We don't run the car often, usually when it's too wet or cold for the dedicated car, and our local class is rather lightly-subscribed to, but it would suck to drive the car, beat some really bad driver, and have him/her protest. Yes, it's a weanie protest, but it would stick.

I understand your build intentions, and this is an odd/special request, but didn't know how far down the road the design had gone, and was just making this observation. If it can't be slid back, I guess I could trim the leading edge to work, depending on how this part is configured/attached to the car. Thank you.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Splitter, anyone? - finally outdoor sunshine photos!

Post by Navy Lifer »

Test fit and final configuration mounting hardware development is still a work in progress--between owner's (novadeuce/Scott) work schedule and the fact that we live an hour apart, the timing for working on the details of this project are turtle S L O W.......as the saying goes, good things come to those who wait....

The splitter as shown here is really too expensive to expect enough potential buyers to step up, so our plan is to figure out a way to produce this design using a different material...maybe not quite as sexy-looking or durable, in the end, but more reasonable as to cost, making it easier to decide to buy one. Anyone wanting this type--with the cloth weave surface (to be clear, it's NOT carbon fiber), you'll be able to buy one, or perhaps a group order could be made, which will help keep cost down some.

I'm not the greatest photographer, and I realize that a "whole car" shot would be helpful in visualizing the full impact of adding the splitter. We'll get some posted, eventually.
split1.JPG
split1.JPG (44.9 KiB) Viewed 10239 times
split2.JPG
split2.JPG (41.43 KiB) Viewed 10239 times
split3.JPG
split3.JPG (43.66 KiB) Viewed 10239 times
split4.JPG
split4.JPG (38.53 KiB) Viewed 10239 times
split5.JPG
split5.JPG (35.87 KiB) Viewed 10239 times
split6.JPG
split6.JPG (47.51 KiB) Viewed 10239 times
rtormet

Post by rtormet »

yep that looks awesome.

once you get it down to an affordable price i want one for sure!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill,

That looks really awesome!! I wonder If a pattern, and hardware would be a cost-effective route? Then, the big, expensive (I’m a$$uming the panel is the expensive bit here) panel of the owner’s choice could be bought locally, or ordered separately from vendors who pack and ship on a regular basis. Then, the owner could order it in CF, fiberglass, duraroc, aluminum sandwich, or whatever the budget would allow. Just a thought.

But that really looks cool.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

We decided today that one thing we need to do is put the splitter on another color car, so next photos will be on my Alto Gray car, which will have more contrast, and make the splitter seem more prominent vs the black on black shown so far.

The material under consideration to make the more affordable version is HDPE--High Density Polyethylene. Stay tuned for updates!

The other objective is to finalize mounting, with a goal of making the part require no front external supports as some may have seen on actual race splitters or the poseur/ricer cars seen on the streets and at car events. If we do our job right, if someone installs this splitter on the V and wants to add external bracing, that's going to be "on them"....

Thanks for the positive feedback--we'll get our act together on this, hopefully soon/eventually!
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Let us know what the costs are for both. And, need somebody to test it at speed? 8-)

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Maurice, at the speed you travel, the original design/material is what you'll want. :D
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

I figured as much. let me know. BTW, can I plow snow with that, also? ;)

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

If (or when) a run of the cloth/resin splitters is produced, it is a recommendation, for the best protection of the part, to spray the splitter with an adhesion promoter, and then to apply clear coat (if the desire is to "show off" the cloth pattern), or to then paint the part a color of choice and clear over that--clear, in either case, can be shiny, flat, or matte finish, as considered appropriate.