fun day yesterday

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

fun day yesterday

Post by Navy Lifer »

I was out with the PPV at a couple of locations where I pulled into parking lots. This happened within a 2-hour time span. Both times, as I was getting out of my car, another vehicle had pulled in next to me, and as I got out of the car, the drivers of both vehicles (one a Ford F250 diesel, and the other a Toyota Solara convertible) wanted to know "what kind of car is THAT?"....I patiently explained their heritage--and even though the car needs a bath "badly", it's nice to know that they make people curious, no matter what they may be driving. I generally answer the question in this way...."it's a Cop car....but I'm not a Cop", which typically makes for a nice start to a further conversation.
CrashTestDummy

Re: fun day yesterday

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I haven't gotten that reaction from the Caprice yet, probably because it's rarely out of the garage, but we frequently get similar reactions with the Tahoe. "That looks like a police car!"

The Caprice did garner a fair amount of attention at a local cruise-in. People look at the V8 in the engine compartment, then start asking if it's FWD (probably thinking it's some sort of Mailbu, or Lumpala). Then they dive under the rear bumper cover to look for the diff. :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I get that a lot. Imagine here where there are maybe only 4 of these in the whole country! At the local cruise night, it was getting more attention than the Camaros, Vette's and Stangs.

We didn't even get the SS here so yeah, it gets a lot of attention! :D
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i pretty much go unnoticed , other than the random person doing a double take while doing something illegal on the freeway

other than the single person in the carpool lane they never look
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

s/c'd cav wrote:i pretty much go unnoticed , other than the random person doing a double take while doing something illegal on the freeway

other than the single person in the carpool lane they never look
Now THAT, I get!! On my infrequent (and I like it that way) commute to and from work, I'll get people blasting down the beltway, and then either slide up beside me (if they're paying attention), or stand on the brakes as they blow past me (if they're still reading their email).
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Yeah that's my number one annoyance with a car like this but I knew what I was getting into. I love how people come charging up like a freight train in the lane to your left and then slam on the brakes and continue to drive in your blind spot for miles. It's like come dude, slow down and get behind me or speed up and pass, I already saw what you did and if you were going to get stopped it would have happened by now. Its not smart to drive in someone's blind spot in general and if you really think its a cop car, even more so the bad idea for a multitude of reasons.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

There are only a few people that recognize the Caprice as a "Caprice".

Others say, "Sweet Impala", or "Sweet Malibu"..... until I mat it.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)