PPV in the Milwakee area?

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
ButtonPuncher

PPV in the Milwakee area?

Post by ButtonPuncher »

Hi Everyone,
I just learned about the PPV last week. I've never seen a PPV in person and I'd like to check one out. Any owners in the Milwaukee area that could use a free case of beer? Shoot me a PM if you could spare a few minutes some Saturday or Sunday.

Considering this is my first post on this forum, a little about me... I'm a car guy/electronics nerd/computer geek. I've done a couple engine swaps (FWD 4-cylinders), and I do all of the work on my own cars. The latest fun/weird project was putting 14" SHO brakes on a Ford 500. It didn't have much go but it sure could STOP.

Why I'm interested in the PPV... I've never owned a V8 car or a RWD car. I'm looking to change that. I'm also looking for something that has a decent aftermarket and has tuning options. I like how the SS looks but it's obscenely expensive. I also like the Ford SHO. The PPV seems like a cheap version of a combination of the two. The performance, dimensions, and weight of the PPV and the SHO is nearly identical in stock form. I used to have a Ford 500 and I really liked the roomy interior but it was gutless with a 3.0L V6 and a CVT trans.

I'd like to have a fun daily driver that I can take to the dragstrip. Something with more power and is faster (in a straight line) then a stock Mustang GT.

Thanks,
Ben
Trolling your forum while saving up for a 9C3. Dreaming and bench racing for now.

2011 Mazda 6s GT - 3.7L - 6-speed ATX- Kona Blue
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: PPV in the Milwakee area?

Post by Pursuit »

Welcome to the group! I always appreciate the people who like to get their hands dirty. When looking for a 9C3 car keep in mind they are far and few between and only 2011, 12 and 13 MY's. There are a lot of similarities between the G8, Camaro and the sedan SS, but just enough one off stuff in the Caprice to watch out for when modding. But, There is a good group of people here that have found that out already or, are willing to help.

Good luck,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
kevink

Post by kevink »

I'm not sure what year Mustang you're interested in going faster than, but in stock form, you aren't going to touch a Coyote Mustang. They're lighter with more power. The new auto Mustangs are flying with very little mods.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I've had a couple of conversations with the driving instructors at the Houston Police Academy. At one point in time, they had ALL of the HPD Caprices, and loved them! The Caprices either went into patrol duty, probably after the steering recall was completed, or got retired, and were replaced with Tahoes and Taurus's (Taurii?). They cursed the Taurus, saying the had zero rear visibility, and either the AWD system, or brakes were always failing them. He said when they ran, they went like stink, but the Caprice did all that without a maintenance and was easier to see what you were backing into than the Taurus.

I'm surprised you haven't seen a Caprice, they're pretty popular with the law enforcement agencies up there. That's where our '12 came from.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
ButtonPuncher

Post by ButtonPuncher »

Thanks guys. They are all Fords around here and a few Dodges. The only thing that I haven't checked is to see if the highway patrol has Caprices.

Yeah, I've been researching the crap out of the PPV. I'm amazed and thrilled to see all of the aftermarket crossover with the G8, SS, and even some Camaro parts. I was just reading about the CTS-V's 6-piston Brembos and 15" rotors that are an easy swap. ...drool... I'm coming from a string of cars that have/had next to zero aftermarket. Going to something that has parts and is tuneable will be incredible.

That's interesting that the 9C3 is only '11-13. I wasn't aware of that but I guess it makes sense. So far the only 9C3's that I've seen for sale have been 2011's. Ideally I'd like a '12 or '13 but any 9C3 would be nice. I just don't have to have to deal with all of the little stuff that goes in to swapping an interior. I'm dying because there's a gorgeous 9C3 for sale about an hour away but I won't have the cash until this time next year.

I'm looking to beat a stock-ish Coyote Mustang or Camaro SS in a straight line. I know because of the PPV's weight, it's not going to happen with an intake/headers/cam, and a tune. It's going to require forced induction. I'm all but sold on AGP's Camaro twin turbo system. I realize that I'll need to re-do the intercooler plumbing but that's no big deal. 500WHP should do it (600 crank HP). That will put me at 7.3lbs per HP. Coyote Mustang is 8.5lb/HP and SS Camaro is 8.1lb/HP.

BP
Trolling your forum while saving up for a 9C3. Dreaming and bench racing for now.

Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Wisconsin has a lot of Sherriff cars that are Caprices. I have cruised past a few of them on my drives to Michigan.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
ButtonPuncher

Post by ButtonPuncher »

Thanks Maurice. I'll have to stop by the local Highway Patrol and see if they have any. (It's right next to my favorite burger joint so that's good motivation.)

Now that I think of it, since I've never really been looking for a PPV before now, I've never REALLY looked that close at the patrol cars to see what make/model that they are. But now that I'm actually looking, I'll probably start seeing them everywhere. (You know how that happens when you've found a car that you like?)

CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

From the back, the Caprice looks VERY much like the Impalas that some jurisdictions use. You have to carefully-read the name plate on the deck lid. From the front, there's no question.

If you're looking for boosting, you might want to look at supercharging the car. There are several builds on this forum outlining (some quite well) adding the LSA supercharger to the Caprice. There are also numerous posts on the G8 and SS forums with this info. I think the packaging is a bit easier with the S/C, and there'd certainly be a lot less heat under the hood.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

agp , offers a G8 kit or they can build one , they have 3 of them running around phoenix area

straight line , with bolt ons youll compete with any 5th gen camaro , they are heavy cars , as are the stangs with the IRS , but they have more hp , a 6th gen camaro , lost the weight and gained more hp
ButtonPuncher

Post by ButtonPuncher »

CrashTestDummy wrote:From the back, the Caprice looks VERY much like the Impalas that some jurisdictions use. You have to carefully-read the name plate on the deck lid. From the front, there's no question.
You know, that's probably it. A former roommate used to have an Impala and WOW do they look identical from the back.

I had considered the LSA or a Magnuson Heartbeat but for the cost, I'd rather go twin turbo. Just being able to adjust the boost without changing pulleys is worth it. I can dial up the boost as I strengthen the drivetrain. I love the sleeper aspect of it. From the top, if you don't know what to look for, it just looks like a nice cold air intake.

From what I'm reading, the kit doesn't increase underhood temps much because it uses the stock exhaust manifolds and heatshields. I still may wrap the headers anyway for more performance and to reduce heat.
s/c'd cav wrote:agp , offers a G8 kit or they can build one
Yeah, I read that to on one of the forums. The whole thing might bolt right up with no modification. That'd be incredibly cool.

I read more about the AGP kit and was looking at install photos. It is a work of art as far a turbo kits go. The turbine housings have a big 3" v-band on them for tons of flow. Each turbo's compressor inlet has a huge cylindrical air filter for no restriction. The wastegates are fed from a parallel branch for perfect flow (no hard bends like alot of systems). The intercooler is absolutely MASSIVE which drops the IAT's to within a couple degrees of ambient. I'm guessing that with the small 0.63AR turbines and a ball bearing CHRA, the boost would be almost instant.

I still need to research it more but people with the AGP turbo kit were reporting slightly better MPG. (As long as you can keep your foot out of it.) And it makes sense. You are recovering lost waste heat/energy from the exhaust and improving the engine's efficiency just like stock turbo diesels do.

But on my current timetable, I'm guessing that any forced induction is still a couple years away. (I'm trying to save up to buy a house so there's no extra cash for toys right now.) But I can still dream and bench race! :D

BP