Soften Up the Ride

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
s/c'd cav

Re: Soften Up the Ride

Post by s/c'd cav »

holden parts usa is currently putting together a order for king springs

they currently just got a stock order of their SSSL springs
20129C1

Post by 20129C1 »

Thanks everyone for all the great info on this. Two things I have...

1. Does anyone know the difference between Monroe's "severe duty" and regular struts?

2. Besides replacing the front strut mounts (went with SuperPro mounts), any other "must do" replacements while everything is apart? - '11 9C3 has a few ticks over 70K miles (I'm going to '14 SS springs)

Thanks
2007 Saudi/UAE Caprice
1993 Camaro B4C M6 Purple Pearl Metallic
1993 Camaro B4C A4 Medium Patriot Red
2013 Camaro SS M6 "Panther"
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

In the rear there is a ton of rubber bushings that can be converted over to poly versions with 70k you may have a lot of wear on your stock ones, lotta people seem to go for the upper rear control arm pivot which is a total PIA to change out unless you drop the cradle a bit. The Z/28 design factory control rods are a good upgrade while keeping rubber parts and strangely there is a dorman version of the toe rod which uses the upgrade design and bushing but its super cheap.
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-78912-524-564.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

20129C1 wrote:Thanks everyone for all the great info on this. Two things I have...

1. Does anyone know the difference between Monroe's "severe duty" and regular struts?

2. Besides replacing the front strut mounts (went with SuperPro mounts), any other "must do" replacements while everything is apart? - '11 9C3 has a few ticks over 70K miles (I'm going to '14 SS springs)

Thanks
Just hit 72K on my 2011 9C3....

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is any other Monroe listing other than the Severe Service version.

Here's what I can tell you....early PPV (2011) had harshly-valved front struts, which were changed for 2012. Rear shocks were a running change in 2011 (VIN break is published in parts book, I recall). The 2nd design OE shock & strut ONLY work on 2011-2013 (WM) cars due to the revised front knuckle design on WN--not sure what is different at the rear.

All OE PPV struts/shocks are supplie by Monroe and produced in Australia. I have been wanting to find out what, if anything, is different in the valving of the Monroe-branded/boxed aftermarket Severe Service parts and the OE parts supplied by Monroe.

I just drove Scott Walker's 2nd PPV, which has the Monroe S/S struts & shocks, and a set of Pedders springs, (PN 2956 & 2957), and while it isn't "broken in" yet, the combination had a VERY controlled, "tied down" feel, which I liked very much, compared to the OE SS springs and OE 2nd design shocks I'm running....but I don't know whether it's the shocks or the springs that make the difference--perhaps a bit of both.
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

For my 2011, I’ve got 30k on the clock now. New Eibach strings in a box and Monroe Severe Service struts on order. I heard the stock 2011 struts are really bad but not much is said about the rear dampeners. Thoughts?

Also, I’m planning on getting new bushings for the struts. I was told not to with so few miles, but then I saw a picture of a shock-modified hood. Should I get some Monroe mounts on order?

Thanks fo the continued advice.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

you want 12-13 struts and shocks
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

I would get poly or some other type of strut mount. Anything but rubber IMO. Whiteline, super pro makes two different versions with different materials as well, and others. NVH consideration and your threshold for such may dictate your material choice.

Good luck

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

s/c'd cav wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:39 am you want 12-13 struts and shocks
I already picked up Monroe 553016/553017 for the front. I was impressed with what Navy wrote about Walker's ride back in April. I just don't understand the statement "Rear shocks were a running change in 2011". I guess I should just be safe and replace the rear shocks too with the spring swap.

lastcall190 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:50 am I would get poly or some other type of strut mount. Anything but rubber IMO. Whiteline, super pro makes two different versions with different materials as well, and others. NVH consideration and your threshold for such may dictate your material choice.

Good luck

-J
The prices of the poly is frightening, and I'm not sure they're worth it.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Fair point. Personally I look at it in terms of, I don't want to do this job more than I need to. If poly gives me a better chance, sign me up.

Perhaps he meant that the change of the rear shocks rolled out part way through the model year, with a cutoff point based upon VIN number

Good luck with the route you choose.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

get the whiteline upper front mounts the rubber OE mounts sag and go out fairly quickly , ive used whiteline since 2006 with the gto's and the upper strut mount has been the same since then

the 11's shocks and struts are valved stiffer , which is why the switch to the 12-13 version