9C3 trunk release

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: 9C3 trunk release

Post by Navy Lifer »

Update - done, works great, remains to be determined whether a relay will be added
Navy Lifer wrote:
I have a couple of harness and switch options - one harness is G8, the other is PPV, just so I could see what the interface is between the release button behind the compartment door BEFORE tearing things apart--the parts weren't expensive, so it's worth it for the knowledge base. There is a second button option, just don't recall where it came from as a source.

Here are the PN's:

92172574 harness (G8) Parts group 2.480 - I/P Compt Lp (Lamp?) wiring - includes connector for trunk release button

92056727 pb switch (G8)

Given the mention of the amperage draw of the trunk release actuator, and that use of the RKE release command means that the BCM is involved, is the in-compartment release button, when pushed, going to function as it does in G8, or is this a situation that calls for a change (software code) in the BCM flash program?
In addition to the parts above, the trim cover--identified as a CAP (Parts Group 10.260) for G8--is PN 92171692. This cover is a mirror image part (for LHD dash configuration) to the one pictured. in ZerOne's post.

We used the G8 parts listed, and had to add a male connector pin "borrowed" from the harness connector for the PPV in-car harness that is now removed (connections behind right footwell panel). The G8 glove box harness has 3 wires, including an orange "hot" wire, which was added to the existing PPV body harness connector in the appropriate grid position to mate with the G8 harness pin. It's a little more complicated than what these pictures show (as alluded to in Tom's writeup re: wiring mods) but the car now has an always hot trunk release inside the glove box as well as the key-controlled release on the console (and the the RKE release option, of course).
view prior to installing G8 harness on storage compartment in place of PPV harness--adds connections for release switch--swap out is easy
view prior to installing G8 harness on storage compartment in place of PPV harness--adds connections for release switch--swap out is easy
trunk release 2.jpg (47.89 KiB) Viewed 12102 times
release button installed in compartment - pre-existing hole behind blank plate/cap, 2 leads on harness connect to switch
release button installed in compartment - pre-existing hole behind blank plate/cap, 2 leads on harness connect to switch
trunk release 1.jpg (42.45 KiB) Viewed 12102 times
G8 cap with release symbol and provision for pushbutton
G8 cap with release symbol and provision for pushbutton
trunk release 6.JPG (50.86 KiB) Viewed 12102 times
back view of cap showing "LHD" - for compartment on right side - marking and PN verification
back view of cap showing "LHD" - for compartment on right side - marking and PN verification
trunk release 3.JPG (48.53 KiB) Viewed 12102 times
completed installation
completed installation
trunk release 5.JPG (41.32 KiB) Viewed 12102 times
Last edited by Navy Lifer on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix pictures
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Looks great. My hidden button has been working great as well.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Twotonfun

Post by Twotonfun »

Having too locked my keys in the trunk of my 9c3 I was very interested in trying this modification and it worked great.

I took it one step further and tapped into the blue wire in the existing trunk release switch and found that it will release the trunk just fine and there was now no need for placing an additional switch or drilling holes. :mrgreen:

I suppose that this will make it easier should some one break into my car to get into the trunk so I will probably start searching for a stealthy place to hide a switch.

Andy
Twotonfun

Post by Twotonfun »

Ordered switch from local Chevy dealer. 10.00 plus change.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Twotonfun wrote:Having too locked my keys in the trunk of my 9c3 I was very interested in trying this modification and it worked great.

I took it one step further and tapped into the blue wire in the existing trunk release switch and found that it will release the trunk just fine and there was now no need for placing an additional switch or drilling holes. :mrgreen:

I suppose that this will make it easier should some one break into my car to get into the trunk so I will probably start searching for a stealthy place to hide a switch.

Andy
Having a 95 9C1 that actually got broken into, and a 95 AND 96 Impala SS with a trunk release accessible from the passenger compartment (the 9C1is right on the dash) , I wouldn't worry about 'steathifying' your trunk release. If someone broke into your car, and discovered that button, they'd probably press it just to see what it got them.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

FINALLY fixed the corrupted photos in my 2-year old post.

The security aspects of my install may be questionable--it's not clear which years do or do not have a locking glove box/storage compartment, and even if so (mine does) I don't carry the key, typically, and have never locked that compartment. No different than the standard installations of trunk release mechanisms of the past, but in the case of the PPV, it's probably a good idea.

Maybe I should put the storage compartment latch key in the car so I would at least be able to lock it and take the key with me when the situation calls for it. Won't stop a determined thief, in all likelihood, but it could slow them down.
StevenJay

Post by StevenJay »

My 2014 9C1 trunk button is active on both doors ALL the time. In the TSB's for the caprice it does show trunk release as a configurable option through sps programming. There's got to be a way to program it either way with an MDI. My build sheet shows ignition controlled trunk release so I dont know. There's no guns in my trunk so I'm ok with it right now. Im curious though.
Steven J.
-2014 Chevy Caprice PPV Pre-Production Pilot vehicle RPO code-Switchblade silver metallic purchased 11/2017
-2017 Chevy Caprice PPV- Switchblade silver metallic-GM Show Car RPO code. purchased 1/2018
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I don't know the service manual states it cannot be programmed for any years (they are quick to break out 14+ models on this chart for other options). So if my 11 cant do it with out the key on then your 14 should not be able to either. Unless this chart is wrong. As you said if you see it on the SPS menu maybe it is possible.

Or the folks before you wired it up somehow. it works with your key FOB correct?

And as I look at the SPS BCM programming options I only see 4 things that can be programmed and those line up with what the service manual states:

DRL
Rear Window Inop
Aux Battery
Theft Alarm

Here is the SPS screen:
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White