System updates

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: System updates

Post by elc32955 »

OK folks, the DNS transfer is complete and all is working fine. To me site access seems to be faster then before, but we'll see what the users think. As far as I can tell the downtime was minimal at best.

For Network Solutions (aka Web.Com), Too Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye. :D

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i still have to log in each time i view a post from a email reply , and when i vist the site , even though i tell it to keep me logged in
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Your computer may be not retaining the system cookie from the forum that tells it who you are. Check your cookie settings to see if your browser auto-deletes them, this could be one highly likely source of this problem. But, the DNS settings have nothing to do with that particular problem. If your browser gives you an option, tell it to always accept cookies from newcaprice.com and NOT to auto-delete at the end of your browsing session. This might solve your issue, let me know if it does.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

its been a issue , even before this update

there was a brief time i didnt have to do it , and i think that is also when the phone users started having issues , then their issue was corrected , and my viewing went back , also it always happened on all the computers i use , home , work both old and new job , and new job im using a different browser
chipperdoodles

HTTPS

Post by chipperdoodles »

I noticed http isn't auto redirected to https which makes logging in insecure if you're not paying attention. It looks like we have a certificate but I think a permanent redirecting of all http://newcaprice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; urls to https:// would be a good idea. I know this is easily done in nginx but i'm not sure how this site it hosted and etc.

Just food for thought!
-Martin
elc32955
System Manager

Re: HTTPS

Post by elc32955 »

Thanks for the input, I'll ask the developer to look into this on the next major site revision. We're overdue for a refresh anyway...

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Re: HTTPS

Post by elc32955 »

It looks like the https works. I'll see what I can do to initiate the redirect within the next few days.....

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

System updates pending

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks,

OK. I now have a reliable, competent developer on-board that has been charged with fixing the little bugs that have been reported, as well as taking the PHPbb revision to current support levels from where we are right now. I'm just waiting on his cost estimate to give the go-code to proceed with the updates, fixes, and changes I've requested.

Since the system creation several years back I've operated with the basic principle of "If it's not broken, don't fix it". Consequently because I adopted the principles of keeping things steady-state, I've passed on installing a number of basic system updates. We are now at the point to where I HAVE to update things to keep us running fairly smoothly and to allow for installation of new software modules as well as tech support if something breaks badly.

The upside to this is that I can have installed some enhanced system modules to upgrade things like security for new accounts as an example. This will help alleviate the spam problem after we are all updated and maybe allow the admins to put the registration process back on semi-automatic. The downside is that this exercise will mean some system downtime. The developer will work on his own timeframe, however I'll do my best to forecast major outages for the users as they can be scheduled.

If there are ANY burning issues with how the system operates, please feel free to make your recommendations and suggestions NOW, in this thread. I've already identified to the developer the re-login problem, the "View your posts" SQL error, the suggestion to migrate to "HTTPS" in lieu of non-secure HTTP (using our SSL certificate), and the change in the user profile to reflect PPV year/type that all have been previously requested. I'm not going to guarantee all suggestions will be implemented, but I will review them in cooperation with the other site admins for submission to the developer.

Lastly, this activity is all PAID work courtesy of the system management, not freebies. After these updates are completed, expect some other features to be coming on-line down the road. The updates may slightly tweak the way the system looks, no cause for alarm if this happens. If anything appears seriously out of kilter however, please feel free to EMAIL me at any time with a heads-up message. I'll review & act as soon as I can on the input.

As always, thanks for your continued support!

Eric
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: BULLETIN - SYSTEM UPDATES PENDING

Post by smwalker »

Would like to see if anything can be done about the search function of the board. IT gives up way to easy if you ask me!

Please post a go fund me or Paypal link we can donate to. THis resource to valuable not to keep around and update.

Thanks
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Re: BULLETIN - SYSTEM UPDATES PENDING

Post by s/c'd cav »

thank you !