Motor Mounts....gotta do'em...

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Sanford

Re: Motor Mounts....gotta do'em...

Post by Sanford »

Mooseman wrote:My 2011 has just under 100k km (62k miles) and the mounts are fine right now but next year, I'll be installing headers and a full exhaust. Would it be worth it for me to replace them anyway as a preventive thing? They will be 8 years old and I do feel a little vibration at idle. At $120CAD each, is it worth it?
If the headers come out pretty easy, I would probably replace the mounts as they fail, but then again I am cheap. As long as the mounts are not damp looking on the rubber and the engine does not jump up when you power brake it in drive or reverse, I would leave them alone. I hate saying this, but I have 5 of these cars and all but one has more than 100,000 miles on the clock and the last one that I bought is the one with the bad mount.

It would be interesting to see how much of an increase in NVH there is with the aftermarket mounts. I believe they can be taken apart and rubber cushions replaced. They look like they would not be that difficult to brew up if you have access to a lathe and milling machine.

David
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the mounts i posted are barely noticeable
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

s/c'd cav wrote:the mounts i posted are barely noticeable
Mmm, half the weight! Might have to get a set while I can, even if only for the spares shelf.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?