NEW starter problem

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Cgthaxton

NEW starter problem

Post by Cgthaxton »

Ok, My starter in my 2012 failed and I ordered a brand new “Duralast Gold” starter from Autozone. I replaced the starter and crank sensor while I was in there. When I start the car you can hear the starter grind on the flywheel like an older vehicle needing the starter shimmed. Has anyone ran into this or have any insight? My thoughts are to pull it out and try replacing it again. Battery is good also.
s/c'd cav

Re: NEW starter problem

Post by s/c'd cav »

you probably need to shim it
Cgthaxton

Post by Cgthaxton »

These starters aren’t shimmed. Took that Duralast back and replaced with AC Delco. It’s just fine now.
v8suprcapric

Post by v8suprcapric »

So how hard is it to replace the starter? My only experience is old Chevy's.
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Can be done on your back. There’s an access panel behind passenger wheel that can get you to the terminals a little easier. Heard some people remove the mid section of exhaust for better access but I didn’t think that would help. The motor mount is the most in the way. Get the heat shield off and the little inspection door on the bellhousing loose. You’ll have to tilt up the starter pretty far to get it out. Going back in was surprisingly easier but I skipped the heat shield and broke that bellhousing plastic door thingy(removing starter). If you can do it on a lift you’ll be at a better starting point.

The G8 forums have more info.