Aftermarket Swaybar + 1LE lcas

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
chipperdoodles

Aftermarket Swaybar + 1LE lcas

Post by chipperdoodles »

I've cleaned through a bunch of posts on sway bars full of really good info thanks to navylifer, but i'm curious if anyone has done the combo of after market sway bars and the rear lower control arms and what would be necessary for that? I'm thinkin about upgrading my sway bars and was curious about that. Thanks in advance!

For ref I have a 2013, I've been wondering what would be a good balanced set up and wondering if the EPS they switched two in the 2014+ models is one of the reasons for the sway bar rebalance or if the early models are a little undersized/stiff regardless.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Aftermarket Swaybar + 1LE lcas

Post by Navy Lifer »

Good questions, no real way to know.

You have several options.

14 & later WN Caprice & SS sedan use a 26mm front bar

14 SS used a 28mm rear bar--the control arms mount inboard like PPV, but you would be wise to get the whole setup for 14 SS

15-17 SS used a 25mm rear bar, which is what the 1LE control arms are for, although it MAY be that 14-17 PPV have that provision too, even though they used a 20mm inboard mount bar.

To do anything larger that 20mm, you really need to add the rear sway bar cradle/crossmember bushing clamp plates (what I made or something similar) to get a double-bolted clamp setup for the larger bars. These have to be welded on.

Still there's the question of whether the Camaro wide rear bar can be used without converting to Brembo fixed calipers in back.
chipperdoodles

Post by chipperdoodles »

Ah thanks, coming in hard with the sway knowledge!

The 2014 swaybars are now super cheap? I checked gm parts direct and it was only 80$ for the bar itself, it was tempting, I'd definitely have to get LCAs for that, i'm wondering if the 1les work with the 2014 bar, would be an expensive test and I don't have my own shop space otherwise i'd try.

I'm leaning towards getting the adjustable whiteline kit for the G8 gt because when all said and done you get the nicer bushings and endlinks. Since the 1le LCAs have the provision for the inboard links maybe that combo could work and I could keep the stock brakes. (i'd love to go brembos just would have to save up a good long while to both brakes and suspension at the same time).

so right now i'm thinking either the whiteline kit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/whl-bhk007, or sourcing parts from gm direct and seeing how the compare price wise.

Also i hear ss springs make for a comfy ride, those that have done it, did you do all 4 or could you get away with just the rears? I feel like that's a stupid question but I won't get smarter if i don't ask!

@navy lifer thanks for all the super good info, i might hit you up for the double bolt brackets and see if a local shop can do the welding for me once i decided on a setup.
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

Any part numbers for these lca’s? Wondering what they look like compared to stock
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

are you referring to the Camaro 1LE arms or 14 SS sedan arms?

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/g ... suspension

SS sedan arms - go figure the difference in application....talk to Chevy dealer, or find some part-out PPV's and have a look at the LCA's

92287743 (right)
THIS PART ALSO FITS
Make Model Year Body & Trim Engine & Transmission
Chevrolet Caprice 2017 PPV 3.6L V6 - Flex, 6.0L V8 - Flex
Chevrolet Caprice 2016 PPV 3.6L V6 - Flex, 6.0L V8 - Flex
Chevrolet Caprice 2015 PPV 3.6L V6 - Flex, 6.0L V8 - Flex
Chevrolet Caprice 2014 PPV 3.6L V6 - Flex, 6.0L V8 - Flex
Chevrolet SS 2017 Base 6.2L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet SS 2016 Base 6.2L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet SS 2015 Base 6.2L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet SS 2014 Base 6.2L V8 - Gas

92263281 (left)
THIS PART ALSO FITS
Make Model Year Body & Trim Engine & Transmission
Chevrolet Caprice 2014 PPV 3.6L V6 - Flex, 6.0L V8 - Flex
Chevrolet SS 2014 Base 6.2L V8 - Gas
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

I have a 14 ppv so if someone needs something measured or anything. I just don’t see anything special other than the 1le upgrade kit and it looks like it’s just a bearing instead of a bushing