Won a car at auction, but check engine light & abs traction are on, thinking of walking away

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
91C02920

Re: Won a car at auction, but check engine light & abs traction are on, thinking of walking away

Post by 91C02920 »

I got some shipping quotes around $500, which might work out better. Get it home and take a look at it then.
SSpeedracer

Re: Won a car at auction, but check engine light & abs traction are on, thinking of walking away

Post by SSpeedracer »

Two Cup holders, Two Ballistic doors ANNNNNNNNNNND Two air fresheners....

Find your balls, buy an airline ticket and get that bitch NOW! Check the fluids, keep the speed down and you'll be fine.

Like mentioned above, I swapped a used LS3 cam and blue springs with DOD delete and no check engine or drive-ability problems in my 2016. I've since tuned it however. The DOD lifters are prone to fail after 100k miles depending on idle hours and abuse.
2016 Caprice
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

91C02920 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:31 pm I got some shipping quotes around $500, which might work out better. Get it home and take a look at it then.

Seems worth it not to risk a break down. Glad you’re not walking away. The car looks like a solid deal for $4k
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

SSpeedracer wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:40 pm Two Cup holders, Two Ballistic doors ANNNNNNNNNNND Two air fresheners....

Find your balls, buy an airline ticket and get that bitch NOW! Check the fluids, keep the speed down and you'll be fine.

Like mentioned above, I swapped a used LS3 cam and blue springs with DOD delete and no check engine or drive-ability problems in my 2016. I've since tuned it however. The DOD lifters are prone to fail after 100k miles depending on idle hours and abuse.

It should be on its way shortly. It would have been too big a pain to fly out and find out I needed a tow once I got there or on the road and try and arrange it then. I had 30 days to get it out so it was better to work on a way to get it up here. Thought about getting it towed to the chevy dealer and getting it fixed, then driving it from there, but once it got there it would be more or less hostage and on a timer to get fixed or moved, so getting it up to me is the best route.

Now, I can do the ls3 cam without a program and be all right? No check engine you say? That is pretty interesting...:)
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

We did quick math and ended up getting two vehicles we purchased elsewhere transported to us. After airline tickets, cab, food, probably hotel for a night, and gas on the way back was probably about break even, at best. That, and we didn't have to sit on the freeway for hours at a time just driving. No doubt the two vehicles we purchased would have made the trip, but that might not have been an option for you, not knowing the real condition of the car. You made a good decision.

All that, and it's like Santa bringing presents when the transporter rolls down the street and parks out in front of your house! :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:08 pm We did quick math and ended up getting two vehicles we purchased elsewhere transported to us. After airline tickets, cab, food, probably hotel for a night, and gas on the way back was probably about break even, at best. That, and we didn't have to sit on the freeway for hours at a time just driving. No doubt the two vehicles we purchased would have made the trip, but that might not have been an option for you, not knowing the real condition of the car. You made a good decision.

All that, and it's like Santa bringing presents when the transporter rolls down the street and parks out in front of your house! :mrgreen:
Finally got a quote for 425, so between the ticket to fly down, the gas coming back, and my time, it wasn't worth the risk at all. Though I did learn a lot about getting a car shipped in the process. Uship gave maybe one or 2 ok quotes, but everything else was on the high side. Almost everything else throwing a quote at you is from a broker who will post your car on a load board drivers check to grab loads from. So most of the time you are dealing with a middle man who is going to push you to post it at a higher rate than you want so it gets picked quicker and they get their fee from it faster. I ended up working with a guy who understood I had some time here (30 days to remove it) and was willing to post it for what I was looking for. Still not here yet, but knock on wood it gets here in the next day or 2, I hope. Dealing with carriers direct didn't give any better quotes, actually a little higher, but I'm sure there is added peace of mind dealing directly with who will be doing the moving for some.
Ilikemtb999 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:49 pm Seems worth it not to risk a break down. Glad you’re not walking away. The car looks like a solid deal for $4k
The front bumper does not seem to be cut, and its all one color so its a good start :) Looking forward to seeing what I got when it gets here.
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

91C02920 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Now, I can do the ls3 cam without a program and be all right? No check engine you say? That is pretty interesting...:)
Just prior to my LS3 cam swap I turned off the DOD with HPTuners. Nothing else. After DOD delete kit, LS3 and Springs I did get a code for fuel tank vacuum. Was apparently totally unrelated and coincidental. The fuel pump harness was overheated with carbon buildup on power terminal. I soldered a replacement GM fuel pump connector and everything was fine. Perhaps the slightly increased volumetric efficiency of the LS3 then strained the fuel pump ever so slightly that the additional voltage drop across the fouled plug threw off the vacuum sensor reading.

Summary, I don't know if a DOD delete kit without turning off the DOD in the VCM would result in check engine code. Certainly someone here or vendor could tell you. But, from a fuel trim, VE, MAF "tuning" standpoint, No codes. I drove it like this for several thousand miles before changing timing. And, my current "tune" is 90% cut and paste from a SS sedan. I've got a wideband ready to go, I just haven't found time between my other 8 cars to do a proper tune. Realistically, I don't expect to get much more from the LS3. The biggest, most enjoyable improvements I made were with transmission torque settings.
2016 Caprice
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

Car came last night at midnight.
Hooked up the scanner and right away got the P0307, and it has a tick at start up. So right away it sounds like a bad lifter. When I clear it, the other lights go off, so everything else is probably ok with the abs, but it comes back after a moment.

Rest of the car is in pretty good shape.
It looks really good in white. Which is kind of surprising to me as I already have a black & white one, but the all white looks different/better significantly.

Still debating the dod delete, as I don't have a good spot to work on the car, just the non-paved driveway. I could probably bang out taking the head off for a lifter swap, but I don't want to get much deeper than that in the driveway. Would much rather get the dod done with an ls3 cam though if I don't have to run to a tuner right away on it.

I'm pretty glad I got this one. Just have some work to get done.
Ballistic doors, the slider tray in the trunk, a decent trunk liner are some of the fun pluses.
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

I wish I would of held out for a white one but settled on black.

Post up some pics.

Maybe try that flush procedure that was floating around here. It seems to work.
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

Ilikemtb999 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:48 pm I wish I would of held out for a white one but settled on black.

Post up some pics.

Maybe try that flush procedure that was floating around here. It seems to work.
What is the flush procedure? I tried searching and couldn't find it. Saw something about BG epr and moa on the facebooks

Pics today some time,