Installing factory rear vision camera on 2014

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Mooseman

Re: Installing factory rear vision camera on 2014

Post by Mooseman »

It should. I had my 2011 radio reprogrammed and installed an aftermarket camera. You'll have to solder an RCA connector directly to the board inside the radio. There is a write-up somewhere on it.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Neumeier83

Post by Neumeier83 »

Where did you get the 20 pin t-harness
smwalker
Administration Staff

2014+ Rearview Camera Technical Info

Post by smwalker »

Another user asked me If I made a harness for this job so I thought I would look into what it would take. Looking at the wiring diagram and using the camera harness seems I could just add on from the light gray connector. As always would like to keep things as factory as possible and interface with the fuse box for power if possible.

Here is some of the preliminary information I have gathered so far to keep it all in one place.

Picture Album for zooming in

Wiring Diagram:

What I cannot get is it shows the ground comes from the camera straight to ground not through connector X401 (gray connector on the camera harness). But the green connector is not labeled on the diagram but does seem to be indicated with symbols. So the ground goes through the green connector but not the gray??

Pinout:

Splice location J325 (#2 in picture) is in the passenger compartment. It would be along the way of running the signal wires to the head unit but since we are already in the trunk I am thinking maybe we could find the reverse light wires easier. But that would be a good place to make a splice, nice and protected.

Here is where the ground connects to the body G401 (#1 in Picture) which seems to be the negative battery cable hold down. Not sure the path the wires would take to get over to the ground and fuse box.

X401 is the light gray connector at the end of the GM camera harness . The one that is on the GM camera harness is the female side (Connector info here) so the male side would have to be acquired. Info on the male side connector:
Yazaki Connector Housing - 7282-3441-40

Yazaki Terminals:
7114-4100-02 - Tin Plated - Wire SIze ( 20/22 AWG )
7114-4100-08 - Gold Plated Contact Area - Wire SIze ( 20/22 AWG )
7114-4101-02 - Tin Plated - Wire SIze ( 18/16 AWG )
7114-4101-08 - Gold Plated Contact Area - Wire SIze ( 18/16 AWG )
(Nexus Electronics seems to be the only ones carrying these. Minimum order 10 connectors, 100 terminals)
(Got a few samples from SMD who is the Yazaki US distributor. Not sure their minimums)

Manufacturer of oval hole clip on connector: https://www.hellermanntyton.com/product ... /151-00180
Was able to find the ones we need in a 100 pack , better than 1000!! So the gray connector should slip into an existing oval hole that is already on the 14's

The Service connector part number on the pinout is a good GM part number 19153162 (AcDelco PT2247). I thought oh well that would be easy to get a pigtail all set up, Check Price - Oh Amazon has them ... $260.00!! HA HA HA Nah we will make our own!! LOL

Terminals for the two wires for the camera signal at the 20 cavity radio plug (X4) are the same ones I use for the AUX in connectors :
Manufacturer: JST
Part Number: SAIT-A03T-M064
(I use Part # SAIT-A02T-M064 that is for a little bigger wire - Should probably use the gold plated ones for video signal at each end - SAIT-A02GF-M064)

Fuse Box connectors - Still have to investigate if possible to utilize factory rear camera fuse location. That would be sweet it the fuse box was capable of that. Will see.

ADDING ON: Was not able to find an extra ignition powered fuse box circuit I could add into. But did realize a place where I could find ignition power and a ground is over by the Auxiliary battery relay connector. So plan on making up a connector series that will enable us to tap into that circuit with no splices. That will consist of the following:
Male connector to go into relay = Aptiv 12052641 Corsa Tech Makes a Kit For this Connector Series MP150-2S-1
Terminals =
Wire Seals =
Secondary lock =

Female connector to interface with cars plug = Aptiv 12162000 Corsa Tech Makes a Kit For this Connector Series MP150-2P
Terminals =
Wire Seals =
Secondary lock =

So This is what I came up with. Still have to install in another members car and see if the lengths we came up with will work.

Recently we have seen the lid harnesses go discontinued. Checked with an AU parts guy and he said they have none either but it's still a good part number, They have another lid harness for the WM cars but it has a different gray connector. They got lots of those so not sure if he is going to bring them over and I can adapt my harness to fir those???

I thought of making up my own lid harnesses but finding the rubber boot from the trunk to the body is next to impossible.

But here is the info on the green connector that goes to the camera:
Connector: 2822343-1
terminals: 917308-1
Digikey has them in small quantities.

Total Length of the Lid Harness is 53 inches.
Boot Length 10 inches
Lid Harness 1.jpg
Lid Harness 1.jpg (170.61 KiB) Viewed 5965 times

Since GM provides no pinout for the green connector at the camera here is what I have been able to find from the manufacturer:
Camera Cavity Numbers.png
Camera Cavity Numbers.png (106.35 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
Camera Cavity insertion sequence.png
Camera Cavity insertion sequence.png (226.63 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
Working on confirming the wire colors to match with the diagram above. UPDATE: A member had a harness loose and confirmed the wire colors match up (close on the first one) So basically I can use that as the pinout I do not have from GM.
Wire colors at green plug.png
Wire colors at green plug.png (46.38 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
WildGS

Post by WildGS »

Anyone have better puctures of the stock camera setup with the trim off? Trying to see if the 2015 style trim with the camera installed will fit a 2012.
s/c'd cav

Re: 2014+ Rearview Camera Technical Info

Post by s/c'd cav »

smwalker wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:40 am So This is what I came up with. Still have to install in another members car and see if the lengths we came up with will work.

if you need a harness tester let me know , my camera and trim are waiting
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

s/c'd cav wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:12 am if you need a harness tester let me know , my camera and trim are waiting
Did you get the GM Camera Harness as well?
Should know by Monday if we are good to go. Thanks for the offer.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

smwalker wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:32 am
s/c'd cav wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:12 am if you need a harness tester let me know , my camera and trim are waiting
Did you get the GM Camera Harness as well?
Should know by Monday if we are good to go. Thanks for the offer.
yes i do , from the camera to just inside the trunk
WildGS

Post by WildGS »

Still waiting for my parts to ship, following this closely.
TXPPV

Post by TXPPV »

Any reason that an aftermarket cam would not work with this setup? Assuming the 12+/reverse, ground and two video signal wires are hooked up in theory it should right? I tried it and nothing is showing on the screen. Does pin 5 (ground) and 6 (camera drain wire) at the rear harness need to be connected to anything?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Pin 5 definitely needs a ground, but not the drain wire that is just for the shielding of the video cable.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White