taking the IQ radio apart and soldering the 20 pin connector

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
WildGS

Re: taking the IQ radio apart and soldering the 20 pin connector

Post by WildGS »

Thanks Steve!
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

CHeck back for a new picture I got the positive and negative incorrectly labeled. Negatives are closest to the board edge.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

And just a heads up. I was talking with a FB user and he was explaining he was in the repo industry and recently picked up a Range Rover and thought the Connector looked familiar so he took a pic:

Looking closely at it and the diagram of our 20 pin connectors it does seem to be the same. And they even have the pins in the locations we need them (1-4)

Looked online and there a bunch of companies making aftermarket cables for these cars (range rovers, Jags) One posted a close up of the connector and it does not say SMK at the back of the cavity like the real ones did so that means somewhere out there someone is making a copy of the connector!! That's good news. I wrote a few of them asking if I could get the contact info of the supplier. We shall see , do not have my hopes up. But worse case we can get the cable with an ipod cord attached, cut it and graft on some RCA connectors. If I do not hear anything from them in a few days I will order up a few cords from Singapore and China and see what can be done with them.

Of course you guys that do not have the plug on the board are still out of luck.

Will Update. Nag me if I forget in a week.

Another member is getting one from amazon for testing. I was looking around some more and noticed the one for the AUDI's look the same. BUt then in one auction a seller posted a picture of the plug in the car and they are just a bit different, although the plug on the outside looks the same:

This is the AUDI plug - not the same as the PPV
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
WildGS

Post by WildGS »

Reading this I ordered one of the cheap versions of the Range Rover adapters to see if it is even close. I get my radio back to day but need to even check if I have the connector installed to test it out. Figured easy enough to return with amazon I guess if it doesn't work?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (52.99 KiB) Viewed 12352 times
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Another member ordered one as well, Said it snapped right in so it's a go. Next would be tearing the wire apart and making sure there are contacts in the correct positions (From the pics on the auctions it seems like they are but have to confirm) in the connector and find what wires use them. From there you can connect Female RCA's. I imagine they might be pretty small wires in there so that may dictate what kind of connection and then rewrapping of the wire would be best.

I was hoping to find some manufacture symbol or something we could ID and get a supply of them to make up our own wires but he did not see any markings on the connector. Have not heard back from any of the sellers I messaged about supplier info. Figured that.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
WildGS

Post by WildGS »

Nice! Unfortunately I just got my radio back and it doesn't have a connector, so....I am stuck soldering. Lol
ig109

Post by ig109 »

Thanks to this thread for the pics that are available I was able to solder the RCA input directly to the board this weekend. Haven't tested it yet but it seems to be ok.

I was also able to get access to the board and put on a new antenna connector I sourced on here from smwalker

Got my radio back now I just need to figure out an amp and get all my speakers to work.
philofab

Post by philofab »

Can someone repost the 20 pin video connector pinout so I can build a harness? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

philofab wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:11 pm Can someone repost the 20 pin video connector pinout so I can build a harness? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
So the 1-4 are for the 2 video inputs and the 7-12 are used when you have the EDi module interfaced (lots of programming required for that module)

1 Bare : Shield DVD Input Video Ground (-)
2 Red : DVD Input Video Signal (+)
3 Bare : Shield Reverse Camera Video Ground (-)
4 Red : Reverse Camera Video Signal (+)
5 : Not Used
6 : Not Used
7 Green : Video Connector (RGBS) - Blue
8 Black : Video Connector (RGBS) - Green
9 Yellow : Video Connector (RGBS) - Low Reference
10 Red : Video Connector (RGBS) - Red
11 Bare Shield : Video Connector (RGBS) - Ground
12 White Video : Connector (RGBS) - Syncronisation
13 - 20 : Not Used
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

And Just to update this thread I have been able to source the 20 pin connector and terminals from a company in China that builds the cords. They are sending me just the connectors with no wires attached so I can add my own RCA ends. I asked them if they could make them up for us and they were like sure!! How many thousand would you like to buy?? AHHH I will make my own thanks!! LOL

So I will post them on ebay and as always special pricing through the forums. WIll post up some pics when I get them and build the first one.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White