Traction control button function

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Capeasy

Traction control button function

Post by Capeasy »

I'm trying to find out what specifically depressing this button does ? I have read posts on here that says you need to hold this button down for 5 seconds to disable the ABS function of the rear wheels. I have tried it both ways and really dont notice any difference. I recently installed the Camaro 3.45 rear end and am still waiting for my auto call tune to arrive via Email from Blackbear performance so the ECM knows about the swap.
Any input appreciated.
Thanks
Walt
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
Ilikemtb999

Re: Traction control button function

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

It’s in the owners manual. I believe pushing it once allows some wheel spin and holding it down turns off stabilitrac and traction control fully unless it’s a 2011.

Mine will spin a bit even with tc on and then will spin quite a lot with it off. Rarely hold the button down to fully turn it off unless I’m doing donuts.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

You can do donuts?!? I turned that stuff off at an autocross, but still got the throttle to slam shut when I got the car sideways, under hard braking, in a corner. The back end stepped out enough for the car to say “Oh hell no!” When I got back on the loud pedal. I crossed the finish lights, at idle, with my right foot on the floor. :shock:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

Maybe 14’s are different? Mine is a dog off the line but it’ll do donuts.
enginelord

Post by enginelord »

My work Ford pick-up with traction control works awesome, 2 wheel drive and you can pedal it to the floor on ice and it pulls away as best as could be done. Now, my '11 PPV on the other hand, goes sideways instantly If I hit ice at highway speed with no button pressed, traction control 'on'. But 'If' I pressed it, (disabled) on dry pavement, it will bust tires sideways for just a second, then fall on it's face and seemingly drops to idle? So overall I hate it. Does not work well in snow and kills the fun when desired. I hear the '11's are different. No matter, will be disabled eventually... 8-)
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Well I just reminded the ECM with a re-flash that it now has 3.45 gears in the rear but the Traction Control still wont display or turn off. It worked fine before the diff change. I dont think we unplugged any wires or connectors. Does anyone know how these work? Blackbear performance who did the remote tune says that's on a whole different system and computer that cant be manipulated. Ok I'm stumped. Lol
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

When I did my 3.27 swap, I used HPtuners and edited the gear ratio. Never had any traction control issues because of it.

A LOT of tuners use HPtuners and you can open the files and compare and contrast very easily to see what they did - or perhaps in your case, didn't do?

I just trust a tune more when I can look at it. And I know they edited it right. Same reason I change my own oil, I know it's done right.

It's likely that blackbear didn't tune that section, or that EFILive (the cable tuner they use) doesn't support it for our cars.

Or it could be even simpler - double check your rear abs sensor plugs, you might have not plugged them back in or if a friend helped you, maybe he forgot to.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

I have a black bear tune and 3.27 rear diff. I actually drove mine prior to the tube being changed and never had any lights about traction control or anything.
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Yeah I did have a friend help me lift up the diff but it got late and we might have not double check the ABS connection. And the Traction control button operated just fine prior to the swap. I'll go back under and double check everything.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Please let us know what you find. Or how you fix it.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF