Radio dead

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
wigid

Radio dead

Post by wigid »

So I went away for a couple of weeks and came home and the Radio is completely dead. It is a 2012, and i have no display, no hazard lights or heater controls. I checked all the fuses, front, under dash and above the battery and they all are ok. I had a spare radio i got from Australia and if i plug this in it works (well the display says it is in security lockout)

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something in the radio that fails? an internal fuse or link?

If this radio cant be fixed what do i need to do to program the other radio with my vin? Is this something i can do or do i need to send it out?
08 Pontiac G8
12 Caprice PPV
13 Vf Commodore ute
15 Chevy SS sedan
17 SS VF commodore wagon
lastcall190

Re: Radio dead

Post by lastcall190 »

If its the same thing that happened to me (think it sounds like it), (un)fortunately it just ended up fixing itself. I went out on lunch, nothing. Left at end of the day, back in business. I think there was a thread here with some similar experiences. Sorry no better news, man.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
wigid

Post by wigid »

I have been driving it for two weeks now (except today as it was too cold) nothing at all in that time so i am not holding my breath it will come back. Tried a few power cycles (disconnect battery for 30 minutes) but that did not help. I figure it is past fixing.
I suppose i will take it to chevy and get screwed with reprogramming costs.
08 Pontiac G8
12 Caprice PPV
13 Vf Commodore ute
15 Chevy SS sedan
17 SS VF commodore wagon
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Hmm alright nevermind then. Perhaps Chris White will see this and maybe have some info.

Good luck man

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Definitely get in touch with Chris White. He can probably reprogram it better than any dealer. They would likely screw it up.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

And don't wait for Chris to see this. He rarely has time to read all the posts on all the forums he's on. Contact him for assistance.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
wigid

Post by wigid »

Just sent Chris white an email
08 Pontiac G8
12 Caprice PPV
13 Vf Commodore ute
15 Chevy SS sedan
17 SS VF commodore wagon
nmargrave

Post by nmargrave »

I know this is an old thread, but what was the fix? Having the same problem. Head unit is black, no radio, no hvac controls, just went out one day. Did Chris white fix it or? Also what is this silver box everyone is talking about?
Nick
2013 caprice, rotofab, kooks to solo exhaust, livernois motor sports tune daily driver
2013 9C1 6.0L Kooks to 3in Solo exhaust, Livernois tune, AFM disabled, with a manual oil block off in the oil sensor hole, Rotofab CAI, Viper alarm system with remote start, 8 inch subwoofer, Camaro transmission pan, daily driver.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

The silver box is basically the box with the guts of the radio without the screen.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

I had this happen to me the other day. It was 1000 dollars worth of horrifying. I bought the Aussie unit with Android Auto. My car had a low battery and needed a jump to start (battery was down to 9 volts). I ran the car until it charged up some. Turned it off and started it again and was again, horrified. No Radio, no HVAC controls. Came back 2 days later and started the car. Everything worked. I don't get it.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio