Best bang for the buck Scan tool ?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
shawnjon82

Best bang for the buck Scan tool ?

Post by shawnjon82 »

Looking for some feedback on what you think is the best bang for the buck scan tool.
At this point in time I just need something that will give me the info on whatever dash light is on so I don’t have to take it into a shop. I’m not doing any tuning or programming
Currently I have my airbag light on that I need to troubleshoot
Thanks in advance for any feedback
xcidmigs

Re: Best bang for the buck Scan tool ?

Post by xcidmigs »

any cheapo ELM327 device plus your cellphone AP is the cheapest option but I'm not sure if you get airbag diagnosis until you have something better. I bought the bullet finally and got a TECH2 clone device which lets you do alot more stuff and you still aren't paying $200 even with the VIN# license from GM, the learning curve was steep for me but I'm old....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Whenever we look in the market we usually fall back on Innova products. Just a good value overall.

THink the minimum you would want is the 5310 as it has ABS and SRS functions.

https://www.innova.com/product/detail/5 ... -Inspector
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I finally upgraded from an Actron CP9185 to an Autel MaxiCheck MX808. I needed something that would allow me to look at ABS data and airbag data. It shows tons of info and I wish I had bought it years ago. It was ~$375 shipped to my door. It looks at all of the modules on the 2011-2013 Caprices that I have plugged it into. It will show fault codes, which don’t trigger the CEL , on any of the modules.

I used it on my neighbors 2016 F150 to help trouble shoot an AC problem.
David
shawnjon82

Post by shawnjon82 »

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up the Innova 5310 and it’s amazing for the price. Should have bought this along time ago. I’ve wasted a lote of money having shops diagnose issues in the past.