Console Conversion Wiring Kit - Info

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Console Conversion Wiring Kit - Info

Post by smwalker »

Lately I have been helping guys who are doing the console conversion with wiring kits. Problem I have been running into is every one is doing something a little different. I am going to attempt to try and create a ready made kit that will give everyone what they need to hook up any combination. See how it goes.

One thing I got down pat is the tap shift wire, that is a pretty common setup.
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG (76.89 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
One thing you will notice pictured there is a Posi-tap connector. I thnk that is a neat product tot make the conenction at the BCM. Very good for tight spaces. I will include some in the kit I send you. Order a variety pack here - free shipping
Here is a video on how to use Posi-Taps

For the BCM Plug diagram see this thread: BCM X1 Pinout

And remember there is a secondary lock on the Green BCM plug ( I think the secondary lock is white) lift it out before you insert your terminal.

Next is the wire for the Console switch for Trunk release / traction control. This is where it gets complicated as some folks go with the Console Switch with Traction Control / Sport Mode from AU.

Here is the wire for the traction control. it would be inserted into the Console switch in different positions depending on what switch you are using.
IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG (74.66 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
Here is the pinout for the TRUNK / TRACTION button combo. The way I figure it #3 is the Right button as you are looking at it and #5 is the left button no matter what the functions of the switch are labeled:

And a side note here. If you have the three button console switch that is PARKING/TRACTION/SPORT spot 6 in the connector is the wire for the parking button so you can use that to release the trunk as it sends out a ground signal as well.

Need to find out what cavities on the shifter plug are Traction control and Sport mode - Those wires would be left behind in the vehicle side of the shifter plug once the 9C1 shifter was removed. There would be open spots in the 9C3/G8 shifter because those wires do not go into the shifter for those models. But that's an easy place to pick them up and use them.

That's right I remember the pinout on those is not that complete. It has the items listed but says not occupied on the same line.
And I can only find a picture of one side of the connector since it considers it a component connector and not an inline connector like it really is.
So Sport Mode Spot #5
Traction Control Spot # 7

I also need to investigate the Trunk release connector. If I could find the mating connector that would be an easy plug and play to pick up the trunk release and back-light wiring in one shot. Of course the guys that use the Traction / Sport buttons would not need the trunk wire but would still need to get back lighting from somewhere.

Now I remember the dead end I encountered last time. I do not believe they make a mating connector for our trunk release connector. Meaning they only make the female connector to plug into a molded switch. As you can see by the catalog page there is not part number for "mating pin housing. So I think we are stuck with butt connectors. Or maybe more of them Posi-Taps
trunk relpinout.png
trunk relpinout.png (155.76 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Trunk Connector catalog page.png
Trunk Connector catalog page.png (221.99 KiB) Viewed 8587 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
lastcall190

Re: Console Conversion Wiring Kit - Info

Post by lastcall190 »

PM sent
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Very timely for me since I just did the conversion and still need to do the wiring on the TUTD and the switches. Was waiting for the reopening of my local electronic supply store to find a plug to go into the trunk/TC combo switch. Still have to figure out which pin does what in that switch. I'm planning on using a regular push button placed in the cubby even though I wouldn't use it that much since I'd have TUTD.

I have the 9c1 shifter out if you need any pics of the wiring or plugs.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Moose I have the plugs for the 9C3 trunk/traction buttons. Do not think you would find them at any electronics store. I have only been able to get samples! I have been giving guys them in pigtail form but I am trying to make things plug and play. I have to order some terminals as I just ran out of the ones another member gave me.

If you would like just a pig tail they are $25 shipped. comes with about 18 inches of wire in spots 1,2,3,5 And I can give you a terminal on the Traction wire so you can go right into the shifter connector and pick up the traction control signal there. Or wait till I figure out the Trunk connector mating connector and get that nailed down. (EDIT: see below, cannot make the trunk connection plug and play)

A picture of the back of the 9C1 shifter connector would help me !!

payment info: Zelle or PayPal (friends and family) to PPVSteve@Gmail.com - Include shipping address.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I'm in no rush since I'm also waiting for the 9c3 shifter cover. If you can figure this out and save me hours of frustration, I'd really appreciate it.

Here are the pics. I also grabbed the back of the Sport and TC switches.
IMG_20200521_201952_resized4161772145059826930.jpg
IMG_20200521_201952_resized4161772145059826930.jpg (652.87 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
IMG_20200521_202001_resized1560979789436100060.jpg
IMG_20200521_202001_resized1560979789436100060.jpg (589.27 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
IMG_20200521_202016_resized7895701996464353761.jpg
IMG_20200521_202016_resized7895701996464353761.jpg (892.07 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
ColoCapriceGuy

Post by ColoCapriceGuy »

If you get the Grange three switch like so:

https://ibb.co/GVJz0YJ

Then slot 6 will trigger the park button. This can be used so you can reroute your trunk popper to the park switch, then the other two switches as normal.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Interesting. Although I'm not interested as I used a spare in-globebox trunk switch for the sport shift with the regular trunk/traction control combo button, would you have the part number for that 3 button version and the vehicle it comes from in case anyone else is interested?