2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
Mooseman

Re: 2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Post by Mooseman »

Nice work and good info.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the Aussies know how to complicate things. I'm used to the front hubs on trucks so this is more like the bearings on imports, which I hate with a passion. I'd probably look into getting a bearing installation tool that allows the install on the vehicle unless it also needs bushings like in your case.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
rcg530

Re: 2014 Caprice PPV - YouTube Project Car

Post by rcg530 »

Mooseman wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:32 pm Nice work and good info.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the Aussies know how to complicate things. I'm used to the front hubs on trucks so this is more like the bearings on imports, which I hate with a passion. I'd probably look into getting a bearing installation tool that allows the install on the vehicle unless it also needs bushings like in your case.
You might be able to use the bearing press kit that I used to press in the hubs for the bearings while on the car. My plan for tomorrow, unless there's too much smoke in the air again, is to try using the bearing press kit to remove the old bearings from the original hubs.
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
rcg530

Test - Bearing Press Kit - Extract Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by rcg530 »

I recorded my test of using a bearing press kit to extract the rear wheel bearings from the original rear knuckles, but it appears the audio portion of that camera was faulty. Rather than trying to do voice over work for a short demo video, I extracted a few screen shots from the video and I'll post those here. I zoomed in on the video footage to extract some of the pictures, so the image quality is not the greatest, but you can at least see what I'm talking about in each picture.

This is my experiment to see if the bearing press kit can handle the task of extracting the bearing from the knuckle. Using a shop press would be another way of doing this, but the outside surface of the knuckle does not lend itself to being placed on a flat surface. The only flat surface is the end of the knuckle where the bearing is being pushed out of which you cannot cover that opening otherwise the bearing will not get pressed out fully (or at all).

This is not meant to be a how-to, but merely an experiment I ran to see if this bearing press kit would handle the task. If you do this, you do so at your own risk.

I used an Orion Motor Tech 23-Piece "Front Wheel Drive" bearing puller/press kit. Here's my Amazon affiliate link to that product if you end up wanting to purchase it.
https://amzn.to/3l1ir6Y Since it is an affiliate link, my company will make a commission on that purchase but at no extra cost to you.

Removing the snap ring / c-clip on the outer part of the knuckle:
caprice_pob_pic_00.jpg
caprice_pob_pic_00.jpg (337.05 KiB) Viewed 4086 times

I used the 2.94" / 74.7mm bushing to place against the inner race of the bearing on the back side of the knuckle. The knuckle has a lip on that side that does not allow the outer race of the bearing to be exposed so you must press on the inner race of the bearing (that was already destroyed by removing the stub axle/wheel hub).
caprice_pob_pic_01.jpg
caprice_pob_pic_01.jpg (349.25 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
caprice_pob_pic_02.jpg
caprice_pob_pic_02.jpg (369.93 KiB) Viewed 4086 times

To allow for the bearing outer race size to be pushed out successfully, I used the large sleeve (4" O.D.) and the large sleeve plate (4" O.D. x 3.2" step). Place the flat edge of the sleeve on the flat edge of the outside of the knuckle bearing cavity. It would be better (safer) to have a much larger sleeve that would fit outside of the entire bearing casing on that side of the knuckle, but the kit does not have any that are larger than the 4" O.D. sleeve.
caprice_pob_pic_03.jpg
caprice_pob_pic_03.jpg (360.32 KiB) Viewed 4086 times

I tried the "manual" (not using an impact gun) approach to extract the bearing, but that did not work since I had to hold on to the knuckle and attempt to use the bearing press kit to push out the bearing. If the knuckle was still mounted on the car, it might be possible, but difficult because you cannot lubricate the bearing or knuckle surfaces. I ended up using my impact gun. The bearing press kit has a label on the inside of the storage case to not use an impact gun, but I didn't seem to have much choice. I made sure the press kit's bolt was well lubricated before attempting this method of bearing extraction. I also made sure the sleeve did not move off of the outside flat surface of the knuckle while attempting this procedure.
caprice_pob_pic_04.jpg
caprice_pob_pic_04.jpg (383.28 KiB) Viewed 4086 times

After pressing out the bearing, you can see at the rear end of the bearing cavity in the knuckle the lip that the bear sits against on the rear/inner side of the knuckle.
caprice_pob_pic_05.jpg
caprice_pob_pic_05.jpg (466.46 KiB) Viewed 4086 times

My experiment was a "success". It did press out the bearing, but I had to use the impact gun to achieve that result.

I now have two used knuckles that can be refurbished with new bushings and used again on another Caprice PPV.
rcg530

GM / Holden - Sun Visor Clip Installation Quick Tip

Post by rcg530 »

While installing a dash camera, I was reminded how challenging the installation of the sun visor clips can be in a GM / Holden vehicle. This YouTube Shorts video gives you a way to install the sun visor clip quickly and easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emWNpAFRrQY
Mooseman

Re: Test - Bearing Press Kit - Extract Rear Wheel Bearings

Post by Mooseman »

rcg530 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:26 pm I recorded my test of using a bearing press kit to extract the rear wheel bearings from the original rear knuckles, but it appears the audio portion of that camera was faulty. Rather than trying to do voice over work for a short demo video, I extracted a few screen shots from the video and I'll post those here. I zoomed in on the video footage to extract some of the pictures, so the image quality is not the greatest, but you can at least see what I'm talking about in each picture.

This is my experiment to see if the bearing press kit can handle the task of extracting the bearing from the knuckle. Using a shop press would be another way of doing this, but the outside surface of the knuckle does not lend itself to being placed on a flat surface. The only flat surface is the end of the knuckle where the bearing is being pushed out of which you cannot cover that opening otherwise the bearing will not get pressed out fully (or at all).

This is not meant to be a how-to, but merely an experiment I ran to see if this bearing press kit would handle the task. If you do this, you do so at your own risk.

I used an Orion Motor Tech 23-Piece "Front Wheel Drive" bearing puller/press kit. Here's my Amazon affiliate link to that product if you end up wanting to purchase it.
https://amzn.to/3l1ir6Y Since it is an affiliate link, my company will make a commission on that purchase but at no extra cost to you.

Removing the snap ring / c-clip on the outer part of the knuckle:
caprice_pob_pic_00.jpg

I used the 2.94" / 74.7mm bushing to place against the inner race of the bearing on the back side of the knuckle. The knuckle has a lip on that side that does not allow the outer race of the bearing to be exposed so you must press on the inner race of the bearing (that was already destroyed by removing the stub axle/wheel hub).
caprice_pob_pic_01.jpg
caprice_pob_pic_02.jpg

To allow for the bearing outer race size to be pushed out successfully, I used the large sleeve (4" O.D.) and the large sleeve plate (4" O.D. x 3.2" step). Place the flat edge of the sleeve on the flat edge of the outside of the knuckle bearing cavity. It would be better (safer) to have a much larger sleeve that would fit outside of the entire bearing casing on that side of the knuckle, but the kit does not have any that are larger than the 4" O.D. sleeve.
caprice_pob_pic_03.jpg

I tried the "manual" (not using an impact gun) approach to extract the bearing, but that did not work since I had to hold on to the knuckle and attempt to use the bearing press kit to push out the bearing. If the knuckle was still mounted on the car, it might be possible, but difficult because you cannot lubricate the bearing or knuckle surfaces. I ended up using my impact gun. The bearing press kit has a label on the inside of the storage case to not use an impact gun, but I didn't seem to have much choice. I made sure the press kit's bolt was well lubricated before attempting this method of bearing extraction. I also made sure the sleeve did not move off of the outside flat surface of the knuckle while attempting this procedure.
caprice_pob_pic_04.jpg

After pressing out the bearing, you can see at the rear end of the bearing cavity in the knuckle the lip that the bear sits against on the rear/inner side of the knuckle.
caprice_pob_pic_05.jpg

My experiment was a "success". It did press out the bearing, but I had to use the impact gun to achieve that result.

I now have two used knuckles that can be refurbished with new bushings and used again on another Caprice PPV.
Nice work. Glad to know that kit would work to getting it out. Would it be able to press the new bearing back in?
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

Mooseman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:09 am Nice work. Glad to know that kit would work to getting it out. Would it be able to press the new bearing back in?
It might be able to press in the new bearings as well. If the knuckle were still on the car, you might be able to use hand tools to extract or press in the bearings. As you see, I ended up using the impact gun to extract the bearings which this kit lists as something use should not use with this tool. This kit has in its instruction booklet info on pressing in bearings (which pieces might work best for various cars), so in theory it should work.
rcg530

BlackVue DR900X-2CH Plus - Better Video, Seamless Pairing, Up To 5 Wi-Fi Connections

Post by rcg530 »

I've been using my 2014 Caprice PPV as my test mule for various dash camera reviews. I just completed a review of the new BlackVue DR900X-2CH Plus cameras. In the review video, there are a few sections where you see some of the Caprice. I like this camera because along with the BlackVue CM100LTE connectivity device the new camera allows you to connect up to five Wi-Fi clients to the front camera giving my Caprice internet Wi-Fi connectivity on the road.

https://youtu.be/1EKWZTpWZhs
rcg530

VIOFO T130 3-Channel Dashcam - Sample Daytime Footage

Post by rcg530 »

I started reviewing a VIOFO T130 3-channel dashcam. I have it installed in my 2014 Caprice. I gathered some daytime footage including from the interior camera which shows the interior of my Caprice. I have three dashcams in the Caprice right now, so my options of where to install the T130 camera unit were a bit limited. The center rear view mirror is partially blocking the interior camera. The nice thing with the T130 is that the interior camera can be rotated to the driver side door area if you need to record anything interesting going on with your local LEO.

https://youtu.be/M3Pbb-YE-hE
JUNKYARD_JACK

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

rcg530 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:39 am
Mooseman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:09 am Nice work. Glad to know that kit would work to getting it out. Would it be able to press the new bearing back in?
It might be able to press in the new bearings as well. If the knuckle were still on the car, you might be able to use hand tools to extract or press in the bearings. As you see, I ended up using the impact gun to extract the bearings which this kit lists as something use should not use with this tool. This kit has in its instruction booklet info on pressing in bearings (which pieces might work best for various cars), so in theory it should work.
I used that kit a ton, I've also almost never ran anything but my strongest air guns on it to press in and out bearings all the time. Might not be the "right" way to do it but its a stout piece of kit to have.
rcg530

14-17 Chevy Caprice - Change Tire Pressure / Tire Type | TPMS Settings

Post by rcg530 »

With a $119 USD scan tool, you can adjust the cold inflation pressures values and tire types for your 2014-2017 Chevy Caprice. If you've replaced the high speed pursuit tires with regular tires and they have a proper cold inflation value in the mid 30's, this helps get rid of any TPMS warnings about low tire pressure when in fact it's not low.

https://youtu.be/dcVQjcyawMM