The no budget build - manual, LSA, SS

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
fuzzkill

Re: The no budget build - manual, LSA, SS

Post by fuzzkill »

My attention has been divided lately but trying to get some more done on the car.

As stated earlier, the 2.55" upper is done.

My Aeroforce gauge with wideband add-on came in, and I wired that up. I got the IPF dual gauge cubby mount, so I can mount the Aeroforce and my gear indicator neatly. Can keep an eye on IAT, AFR, Boost, and fuel pressure.

I also have the Elite engineering catch can, need to install it. But that should be pretty quick.

The big item is the interchiller. It has arrived and it is solid. I kind of want to just leave that to install at the new house, but I also fear that once I move I'm going to have my hands full with too much to spend time on the car for awhile. So I'm still debating. Probably going to suck it up and find time next week to do it.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I appreciate you taking the time to document your build. I am looking at going LSA on a LS3 block in a few years once I get all the parts and funding in order. Maybe even stroker if funds permit. Couple questions for you.... Do you have a wife, kids, a job? Haha! :lol: Just kidding. I wish I had the time and attention to detail you have! Great job! You make many of us envious! In all seriousness I had a question about the CTS-V lid. Will a ZL1 lid not fit a 2014? Will the CTS-V lid fit without modification to the cowl? I wasn't quite clear on that. Thanks!
Brett
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

bstoner wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:09 am I appreciate you taking the time to document your build. I am looking at going LSA on a LS3 block in a few years once I get all the parts and funding in order. Maybe even stroker if funds permit. Couple questions for you.... Do you have a wife, kids, a job? Haha! :lol: Just kidding. I wish I had the time and attention to detail you have! Great job! You make many of us envious! In all seriousness I had a question about the CTS-V lid. Will a ZL1 lid not fit a 2014? Will the CTS-V lid fit without modification to the cowl? I wasn't quite clear on that. Thanks!
Brett
ZL1 lid will fit, from what I have seen you need to mill the ribs to clear the hood properly, maybe if you have the aftermarket engine mounts that can drop it 1/2" it wouldn't be needed. I had the CTS-V lid with the LSA as a whole package that's been sitting on my shelf for a long time prior. When I went to actually start this project, all the (CTS and ZL1) lids were on backorder and fetching crazy prices if you could even find one. Prices are coming back down now but still a bit inflated. Now that I'm doing the interchiller I doubt I will change the lid, probably just scraps to pick up vs. the cost and time to do it.

Thanks for the feedback :D
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Awesome. Thanks. Yeah prices are crazy right now! I am saving up and waiting to find a deal.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
BJThorndyke

Post by BJThorndyke »

Having done this amazing swap, do you think just the manual swap on a 14+ is feasible?
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

BJThorndyke wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:15 pm Having done this amazing swap, do you think just the manual swap on a 14+ is feasible?
Having done a manual swap on both 11-13 and 14+ I would say the 14+ is easier, both in terms of the actual swap, and in finding the needed parts.
BJThorndyke

Post by BJThorndyke »

fuzzkill wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:26 pm
BJThorndyke wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:15 pm Having done this amazing swap, do you think just the manual swap on a 14+ is feasible?
Having done a manual swap on both 11-13 and 14+ I would say the 14+ is easier, both in terms of the actual swap, and in finding the needed parts.
What about computer issues for someone that doesn't want to do the full monty like you did here?
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

BJThorndyke wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:31 pm
fuzzkill wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:26 pm
What about computer issues for someone that doesn't want to do the full monty like you did here?
BCM and ECM minimum need to be programmed on either year. Matty Curtis did mine and can do others as well. Not sure if he is here on the forum, might need to find him on Facebook.
BJThorndyke

Post by BJThorndyke »

Oh I know Matty, I've already slung him a fair bit of change for some interior stuff. I'll chat him up. Appreciate the responses and again, awesome build and I hope you're enjoying it.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Interchiller install is wrapped up. Quality of all the components is great and no cutting of any AC hoses is required.

Chiller is mounted to the bumper impact bar, and is roughly the same height. This allows it to not block much airflow coming in the upper and lower grilles. AC suction line and intercooler fluid lines are insulated as much as possible to keep ambient/engine bay heat out.

You do away with the front mount heat exchanger completely, and if you're using the stage 2 kit, you add a second AC condenser in its place. A good sized reservoir is critical with a chiller, as your compressor turns off @ WOT. Recovery is quick, especially at cruising RPM vs idle. My reservoir is 1.7G, and total system capacity is about 2.25G.

In chiller only mode, I can get intercooler fluid temps about 50-60* below ambient at idle. With cabin and chiller both working, I can get about 35-40* below ambient at idle. And the AC in the car feels better than it did before - since you aren't just adding extra heat to the AC system, but also adding extra cooling and a much higher amount of refrigerant to carry that heat load. If I had a stronger pump, larger diameter lines, and more insulation this could even be improved further but I am happy with the current results.