New to me 2014 Caprice

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
JoeR

New to me 2014 Caprice

Post by JoeR »

Hello everyone.
I just bought a 2014 Police Caprice at government auction. I haven't picked it up from the shop yet, but I'll grab it early next week. It still has some of the police stuff still in it, like the passenger barrier and shotgun holder. I'll get that stuff out of there right away.
I still haven't had an opportunity to drive one of these vehicles yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I just tuned an 06 GTO for a local kid and after that I started searching for a G8 or a Caprice. I need a 4 door, so the GTO wouldn't do.
I've been working on cars for forever, including quite a few years at Chevy Dealerships.
I'm looking forward to learning a few new things about my new ride.
Thanks,
Joe
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: New to me 2014 Caprice

Post by Pursuit »

Welcome to the group! There is a lot of good information and even more good people on this forum. Enjoy the new ride.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Show her off and post up some pics.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I appreciate the warm welcome. I'm headed to get the car on Tuesday. 5 hours round trip. I should be able to get it registered the same day. I'll put it on the lift to check my brakes and suspension before I take it out for its first hot lap. LOL.
Joe
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Goes without saying, but lose the DoD before you push it too hard, lol!

Really glad to have you here Joe, welcome!!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

elc32955 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:23 am Goes without saying, but lose the DoD before you push it too hard, lol!
Really glad to have you here Joe, welcome!!
Thanks
Eric
Thanks Eric,
First thing I'm going to do when I get it home will be to install all the latest software in all the modules, and then use HP Tuners to do the DOD delete. In my experience I've never seen a lifter fail if you kill the DOD before a problem appears. If I ever have to go in the engine I'll do the mechanical DOD delete, and go with a Brian Tooley Racing Truck Cam. I've got a BTR Stage 2 in my LS swapped 86 C10 and I love it. I'm tuning a 2016 SS Camaro next week. It had a lifter failure and it's getting the same cam. That's got a 6.2 in it. It'll be the first one of those I've ever tuned. Should be interesting.
Joe
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

It looks like I'm going in the engine earlier than expected. I got my Caprice home today to find out that the #7 cylinder has a broken DOD lifter. The seller tried to diagnose it by pitching all kinds of parts at it, so there's new plugs, a coil and an new set of injectors. I'm surprised a lifter failed at 70k miles, but it does have 4k idle hours on it.
I failed to notice the hole in the roof and trunk. I'm not sure how I'll fix them, but I'll figure it out.

I've got a couple of more questions now that I've gotten my hands on it.
Do the side vents on the fenders serve a function? Mine are missing. I can still buy the OEM moldings, but if they don't do anything I may 3D print something and out them in there.

Do they commonly disable the power seat fore/aft function? Neither front seat moves front to rear, just up and down.

Joe
Attachments
20220531_143407.jpg
20220531_143407.jpg (10.83 MiB) Viewed 970 times
20220531_203944.jpg
20220531_203944.jpg (15.67 MiB) Viewed 970 times
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

JoeR wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:22 pm It looks like I'm going in the engine earlier than expected. I got my Caprice home today to find out that the #7 cylinder has a broken DOD lifter. The seller tried to diagnose it by pitching all kinds of parts at it, so there's new plugs, a coil and an new set of injectors. I'm surprised a lifter failed at 70k miles, but it does have 4k idle hours on it.
I failed to notice the hole in the roof and trunk. I'm not sure how I'll fix them, but I'll figure it out.

I've got a couple of more questions now that I've gotten my hands on it.
Do the side vents on the fenders serve a function? Mine are missing. I can still buy the OEM moldings, but if they don't do anything I may 3D print something and out them in there.

Do they commonly disable the power seat fore/aft function? Neither front seat moves front to rear, just up and down.

Joe
Joe,
The roof and trunk.. many folks have the body shop take care of it ;(.

The fender markers.. no function out of the factory but some police applications installed flashing lights - probably why yours are missing. There are aftermarket (?) versions with "running lights" that are kinda nice.

Seat fore and aft movement.. They should work but may be disabled (or blown fuse) because the barrier (that you are removing) wouldn't allow it. I bought some black leather G8 seats that bolt right in and have a bar in front that releases fore/aft movement. The issue with just tossing them in is that the other electronics are "plugged" differently. Some folks transplant parts from original seat to G8 seats and have had great results.

Good luck and keep us current!
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

front to back movement isnt electric , its manual , the levers are tucked away on the inside seat track
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Ignore my previous seat comments. '14 and up Caprice seats are different than 13 and down. :?
Chevy SS seats are compatible (if you're interested in replacing).
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio